The reason why Christianity seems so unrealistic and naive

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by walter4, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Then why call him "God?"

#11     Apr 29, 2010
  2. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Again, don't want to start anything. I'm not trying to change your mind or diss anyone. You asked politely so I'll answer.

You know those Amazon native tribes that have still had no contact with the outside? If you landed in the middle of their village in a Bell Jet Ranger, hopped out and started handing out Snickers Bars you might be regarded as a god.

If someone managed to cross the impossibly huge emptiness between us and other systems I guess I would regard that someone as a god.

#12     Apr 29, 2010
  3. Hawking never said aliens landed on this planet. He didn't say they probably are immortal. He didn't say they even walk let alone travel interstellar distances.

(reign in your imagination :D )

He DID say they are probably primitive celled organisms like we were once.

your living in sci fi land :D

#13     Apr 29, 2010
  4. Just to clear this up here is his quote on the topic you're discussing.

British astrophysicist Stephen Hawking says aliens are out there, but it could be too dangerous for humans to interact with extraterrestrial life.

Hawking claims in a new documentary that intelligent alien lifeforms almost certainly exist, but warns that communicating with them could be "too risky."

The 68-year-old scientist says a visit by extraterrestrials to Earth would be like Christopher Columbus arriving in the Americas, "which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans."

He speculates most extraterrestrial life will be similar to microbes, or small animals — but adds advanced lifeforms may be "nomads, looking to conquer and colonize."

#14     Apr 29, 2010
  5. Ricter

Ricter

This post is not trotting out
    anything new, unfortunately.
    And, with its big graphic, we'll
    have to side scroll to keep up.

Bleh. Good topic, poor
    execution. No offense.

#15     Apr 29, 2010
  6. Advanced life forms are improbable unlikely but should they win the lottery don't ASSUME they want to share the wealth

that's the import of Hawking's message :D

#16     Apr 29, 2010
  7. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Yeah, I agree thats about what he said.

They might not play nice. Our sense of "fairness" might just be an artifact of our culture.

#17     Apr 29, 2010
  8. nah you also said smthg about interstellar crude on interterrestrial landing gear :D

#18     Apr 29, 2010
  9. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I didn't relate that to Hawking as others have pointed out to you. Your argument has become circular.

Next! :D

#19     Apr 29, 2010
  10. I can backup this post. He did say it. Very recently too, couple of weeks ago at most.

#20     Apr 29, 2010