The reason I dont use any indicators

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Grantx, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Grantx

Grantx

To use or not to use is a question everyone struggles with.

My reason for not using any indicators is because they influence my decision making ability in a negative manner.
    My brain recognises:
    1. Patterns instantly without me having to put any effort in at all.
    2. Whether price is trending/ ranging/ indecisive/ aggressive/ passive etc...
    3. Whether a trade is on or not
    Its like driving a car or wheeling a bicycle, there is no thought because all the heavy lifting is taken care of by my subconscious pattern recognition algo.

When I place something even as simple as a moving average on my chart it messes with everything. I get confused and start thinking about whats happening. This is not a good situation for me as I believe that trading is a simple process which is needlessly complicated by over analysis.

Following are 2 examples of the same instrument. 1st chart tells me price is slowly trending up with lots of opportunities to get in on pullbacks. 2nd chart contains the standard macd, stochastic and moving average which requires me to think. Im not the sharpest tool in the shed at the best of times so I avoid having to think to hard about things which is why I stick to no indicators. YM-201712-ECBOT [CBV] [M]  50 Trades  #7 2017-09-12  09_11_29.495.png YM-201712-ECBOT [CBV] [M]  50 Trades  #7 2017-09-12  09_15_04.275.png

.sigma, kate682, Epicurus and 5 others like this.
  2. Macca1

Macca1

What a waste of a decent platform.

Gasper, Stocktracker and Grantx like this.
  3. I am biased against indicators.

My thoughts are along the lines of - if one of those indicators actually worked - why on earth did they create another 5000 of them....

4. The reason I dont use any indicators

The actual price movement is as precise as can be. Indicators, by design, less so. So why handicap yourself and settle for a tool that is simply derived from the price movement?
    I look at price movement as being the heart, and indicators the pulse. And I would rather have the doctor listen to my heart than just feel my pulse!
    But on the other hand, if you can't read the price movement, indicators may be your only choice.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  5. Thank goodness I know better than to listen to this kind of bilge.

:)

6. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Indicators are tools.
    If you know how to use them, they rock.
    But a sculpter with a screwdriver will do a better job than a noob with the sharpest chisel.

(And neither the chisel nor the screwdriver care a whit about who uses them or whether they are being used "correctly.")

7. Grantx

Grantx

Im always willing to learn. Perhaps you would be kind enough to share your knowledge? I need all the help I can get :)

8. schweiz

schweiz

To create a working indicator (or several) you have to be smart. And smart people will never publish a working indicator FOR FREE on internet.
    The 5000 you are speaking of are cheaters who want to make money (or fame) from naive people.

9. Grantx

Grantx

Yeah its wasted on me :) ...Im like a hobo driving the latest luxury car hehe.

10. That's funny. As I as coming in from taking out the trash, I was thinking of this thread... and about making the analogy of trying to drive a nail with a screwdriver.
    :)

#10     Sep 12, 2017
    tommcginnis likes this.