The reality - from Assistant Secretary of the Treasury in the Reagan administration

Discussion in 'Economics' started by intertrader888, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Something along those lines is perfectly reasonable, even likely to happen.

#11     Feb 22, 2006
  2. Cool! I say if Germany, Sweden or Finland offers a better oppurtunity for legal immigrants than the United States, they should go there. It's probably a lot easier and cheaper, too. Since the bulk of immigration is to the United States, I can only assume it's not because of ignorance but simply because America offers the more opportunities and freedoms than any other country in the world.

^ That's just my logic. If anyone disagree I'd love to hear your thoughts on the issue.

#12     Feb 22, 2006
  3. The Economist is a British publication.

#13     Feb 23, 2006
  4. But still intensely conservative.

#14     Feb 23, 2006
  5. Well, the key thing is you have EXACT right skillset.

If you are an engineer, you would understand how difficult it is to have the
    EXACT right skillset.

The senior you gets, the more difficult it becomes. In many cases, the knowledge
    and skill is simply untransferable.

I guess executives do not have this problem. Their skillset is more transferrable.

The lesson here is to advise your kids to stay away from engineering.

BTW, thanks for the RE bubble, my engineering Ph.D. friend from Lucent
    makes a great living as a RE investor and broker.

#16     Feb 23, 2006
  6. Chemical engineering is the currently the highest paid major. Agree that many professional jobs will be sent overseas. Hopefully, good jobs emerge as they always have before when we sent jobs overseas.

#17     Feb 23, 2006
  7. #18     Feb 23, 2006
  8. But this one does:
    "From 2000 to 2003 engineering employment fell 8.7 percent".

The reason for the low unemployment is because engineers are smart and will find something else they can do like trade or real estate.

#19     Feb 23, 2006
  9. If this statement is true, then what is the problem?

#20     Feb 23, 2006