the real "war" question

Discussion in 'Politics' started by traderkay, Apr 4, 2003.

1. I guess that's where you and I differ.

I come from a country where politicians will do anything to enrich themselves. And as long as they get away with it they hardly even care who finds out.

Also, Iraq, the way I'm seeing the direction of US foreign policy, is just another step to bigger goals.

Don't forget, Bush still has almost 2 years to election time, which, given people's propensity to forget, is AMPLE time. In any case, this war has done wonders for his popularity, so it's not like he's struggling for support or anything.

#21     Apr 4, 2003
  2. Let's be clear on this: what you quaintly term "favorable results, over time, for the invaders" in the real world is called survival of the US and security from catastrophic attacks using WMD. Sorry, but we refuse to allow anyone to dictate the means of our own survival, especially the UN, which has the cojones of a eunuch...

(yawn)

It's all right to be ignorant, but it's stupid to make a career out of it.

#22     Apr 4, 2003
  3. Just out of curiosity, where do you come from?

#23     Apr 4, 2003

4. The survival of the US? bahahaha!

Who the fuck, pray tell, is threatening the survival of the US?

Lol.

Your dimissal of the UN shows just how truly pathetic your awareness of the world is. Truly sad and truly pathetic.

#24     Apr 4, 2003

5. Argentina.

#25     Apr 4, 2003
  6. please go back. now. we don't need or want your kind here. :-/

#26     Apr 4, 2003
  7. I'm glad to see you're not letting your education get in the way of your ignorance.

If you don't know who is threatening the survival of the US, you are either truly insane or recently had a lobotomy.

Why is dismissing the UN pathetic? Why not realistic? I fear you cling to UN "authority" because it is all you really have; now THAT is pathetic! Until the UN is capable of backing up its reams of resolutions on its own, without the US, it will continue to be, for all intensive purposes, a JOKE of the highest order.

Like Argentina, but on a larger scale.

#27     Apr 4, 2003
  8. Come on Alfonso,

Those Iraqi's attempting to defend themselves with their burning oil trenches, WW 1 rifles and suicidal ladies surely equate to a "gathering menace" threatening the survival of the United States.

The sheepish American public has accepted this sick, bloody, evil lie hook, line and sinker. How sad!

#28     Apr 5, 2003
  9. I'm disappointed in you. From our earlier exchanges, I thought you were seeking a sober, even-handed judgment of events. Instead, you've adopted the language and presumptions of an hysterical ideologue.

You and your comrades will have to make up your minds eventually. Sometimes, you like to envision Iraq as a desertified Vietnam, backed by the powerful support of its populace, the Arab world, and powerful international allies, combined with a willingness to use any tactic to achieve its aims. Such a country, if given the time and space to exploit its oil wealth and its geographic position, could soon be in a position to advance its historical pan-Arab ambitions and its bid for leadership in the anti-Western Islamo-fascist cause.

When, however, concerns about actual or potential Iraqi political and military strength seem to ill-serve your ideological preferences, you revert, as in the post above, to belittling the Iraqi threat. Instead of the graveyard of America's overweening ambitions, suddenly the country represents the poor, poor pitiful victim of same. (Never mind that a couple of "suicidal ladies" with a Sarin gas dispenser could kill thousands in a subway or skyscraper.) Presented with certain evidence, as if anymore was necessary, of the pathological manias of a tyrant, now acted out at the cost of soldiers and civilians who are subject to summary execution if they refuse service or try to surrender, you find proof of the same tyrant's innocuousness.

In both instances, you persist in identifying the Iraqi people with the megalomaniac and henchmen that have ruled them for more than a generation. At the same time, when faced with broad American popular support for the effort to remove this regime, you revert to elitism, and accuse the American people of being "sheepish" dupes. You no doubt believe that the Arab and European street, not to mention the suicidal ladies, are much better informed on all relevant matters, and much more difficult to manipulate.

You should not be surprised, and you will have no coherent argument, when others accuse you and your kind of being apologists for and defenders of Saddam, and traitors toward everything you pretend to stand for.

#29     Apr 5, 2003
  10. msfe

msfe

the same sheepish American public will soon have the opportunity to watch their beloved maximo lider install an evangelical judaeo-christian military dictatorship in muslim Iraq and "hand back the Iraqi oil to the Iraqi people"

#30     Apr 5, 2003