the real "war" question

Discussion in 'Politics' started by traderkay, Apr 4, 2003.

1. For every loyal Sadam supporter there is somebody else who wants revenge. I suspect Sadam loyalists will start leaving the country once the capital is captured. They won't want to live in the aftermath with Shiites and kurds running around looking for revenge.

#11     Apr 4, 2003
  2. msfe

msfe

every single loyal Sadam supporter will run around looking for revenge for years and years - until the infidel occupators leave their country

#12     Apr 4, 2003
  3. hello? do you even read people's posts?

the Shiites will kill them in the south and the Kurds will kill them in the north. If they are smart they will leave the country.

#13     Apr 4, 2003
  4. I asked first....:p

I'd really like to understand it myself......

#14     Apr 4, 2003
  5. msfe

msfe

they´re smarter than you - and they´ll will fight the American invaders and their puppets, united with their muslim brethren both from north and south.

#15     Apr 4, 2003

6. Creating a democratic government would be far more valuable than the oil could ever be. We are not doing this for humanitarian reasons, but it will have humanitarian results in the long run. A democratic government there could possibly lead to a domino effect throughout the region as well. It is very debatable whether this is even possible, but that is the goal.

Protecting and rebuilding the oil infrastructure benefits Iraq, not the US. Some US companies will get big contracts for this work, but it will be a microscopic amount compared to how much this whole thing costs. Also, Iraq is, and will continue to be, a member of OPEC. This will not create a glut of oil and bring down prices.

The war for oil argument is so idiotic it embarrasses me when I see people spout off about it. Not one country outside of Iraq and Syria believes this is for oil. Only radical individuals who haven't even begun to do the math.

Jay

#16     Apr 4, 2003
  7. He's never used them.

Saddam has not only used them in battle, but also against his own people.

Also, the guy's hero is literally Josef Stalin! He manages his country in the exact same manner.

Jay

#17     Apr 4, 2003

8. Jay, whether creating a democratic government is valuable or not is beside the point. Internationally accepted principles, as enshrined in the UN charter, do not allow overthrowing a regime using overt military force just because it might bring about favorable results, over time, for the invaders. Let's be clear on that.

Secondly, even a rudimentary analysis will show which companies stand to benefit from attacking Iraq, and which fat cats are associated with those companies. Yes, it's a conspiratorial point of view, but to simply dismiss the the possibility on those grounds exposes exactly the naive implicit trust in your leaders that the government spin machine relies on.

#18     Apr 4, 2003
  9. HA HA HA.. exactly right! Well said!

NOW WHY don't the war mongers see that simple fact...?!

Have we not the most arrogant, ignorant citizens in these US... who twist things to suit their excitement and machismo. Some of them conveniently figure......... well what the f*ck!........so WHAT if the UN does not authorize this, or if Congress has not declared war! To hell with our principles and the rules.... THIS TIME.... we are not a Nation of laws.. we are now a nation of MEN!

Be careful tough-talkers what you wish for.. ...you might just get it, and NOT like it.

Ice:cool:

#19     Apr 4, 2003

10. Alfonso,

First of all, I never stated that invading Iraq to set up a dem gov was legal by UN charter, just a major reason why the US is there.

Now on to the oil thing. Lets do the math. What do you figure the absolute max amount in contracts to US companies for rebuilding could be? Now try to figure how much the whole thing is going to cost the US. I've read that the war, rebuilding, and occupation could cost up to 500 billion! Even if it is half that, it will be 10 fold what US companies get in contracts. These contracts also do not reflect net profits, just gross revenues to the companies.

Additionally, this war has hammered our economy, and may continue to do so for some time in the future. The amount that the war has cost us economy wide is massive. Bush's reelection will hang on the economy more than anything else. No matter what people think of him, I cannot believe a Prez would cause so much devastation and risk his own standing simply to enrich his colleagues. That is why I don't even consider the conspiracy crap.

Jay

#20     Apr 4, 2003