The real Unemployment rate in the United States.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by SouthAmerica, Jan 4, 2008.

1. .
    January 5, 2008

SouthAmerica: I mentioned a number of times on this forum that thousands of Brazilians are returning to Brazil – legal and illegal immigrants. And that is also happening to other groups of foreigners who were living in the United States.

The Exodus is going on…..

Another example and also a clue to this trend you can find out by looking the figures related to cash transfer businesses in the US such as Western Union that many of these foreign workers use their services to send money home to their families. (We are talking about billions and billions of US dollars here.)

In 2007 many of these cash transfer businesses were saying that the amount of these money transfers had declined drastically when compared with prior years and some were saying that the amounts of transfer had declined by 30 to 40 percent from the prior year.

These declines are a combination of two things: first, many illegal immigrants are returning home, and second, the ones who still living in the United States are having a problem earning money as in prior years – many of these people work in the housing construction business.

These are people who have initiative, they want to prosper at any cost, they are hard workers, these are the people who took a chance and moved to a foreign land on their pursuit of a better life, these are people who would find any type of work and they are not afraid of getting their hands dirty – these are the type of people who serve as engines that help the economic pie to grow.

When this type of people starts giving up on a country such as the US, and they start moving to a better pasture some place else - then you know your economic system has a real problem.

Here is an article that someone send me via email in August of 2007 – Bu the way, it is estimated that there are around 200,000 Brazilians immigrants, half legal and half illegal, living in Massachusetts around the Boston area.

“Leaving Massachusetts”
    By Bianca Vazquez Toness
    WBUR – Boston News Station - NPR

FRAMINGHAM, Mass. - August 13, 2007 - In the midst of the debate about immigrants coming to America, something unusual is happening in Massachusetts: Brazilian immigrants are quietly packing up and leaving.

The falling dollar has made it less attractive for them to work in the United States, and tightened immigration laws are making it uncomfortable to stay.

The departures are already having an effect on the labor supply and on businesses in some immigrant neighborhoods in the city and the suburbs. W-B-U-R's Bianca Vazquez Toness reports.

BIANCA VAZQUEZ TONESS: Eduardo Filho is standing on a ladder painting the ceiling of an apartment in Roxbury. He paints and works in construction around Boston and planned to do it longer, but says he wants to go back to Brazil. That's because he's not making as much money here as he used to.

EDUARDO FILHO: PORTUGUESE
    ENGLISH TRANSLATION: I'm going back sometime in the next two months. I can see the situation here in America is pretty bad. The economy is in free fall and I can't see a way it will get better in the next five years.

TONESS: Like Filho, Brazilian immigrants around the state - both legal and illegal - are going back. And some industries that depend on Brazilian labor are suffering. Gilvan da Silva runs a house- cleaning company. This is the most important month for housecleaners, when they can earn about 20 percent of the years profits cleaning apartments before September first move-in dates. Typically, his company cleans about 140 houses during that time.

DA SILVA: In 2007, I can't take more than 50 units, that's my limit.

TONESS: Because you don't have enough labor?

DA SILVA: That's correct. Because we don't have enough labor. Most people are leaving Massachusetts.

TONESS: Just as it's hard to know how many Brazilians live in Massachusetts, it's also hard to know how many are leaving. But one way to get a sense is by talking to travel agents.

Marcia Carvalho manages a Brazilian agency in Somerville.

CARVALHO: PORTUGUESE
    ENGLISH TRANSLATION: Out of every 100 tickets we sell, about 70 are one-way, so a lot of people are returning. It's because of the U.S. economy. It's really weak now and the dollar is really low in Brazil.

TONESS: A similar turnabout occurred among Irish immigrants in Boston, as they've returned to that country because of Ireland's economic boom.

While Carvalho thinks it's the economy, others think Brazilians are leaving because of the political climate around illegal immigration.

FAUSTO DA ROCHA: Because the climate's not good. We're starting to feel the oppression. The sentiment against immigrants keeps growing and growing and it doesn't just affect undocumented. It affects others. For example, myself, I have my greencard, and I feel the same pain. Because this is my people, this is my community.

TED WELTE: This was a Woolworth store and now is Pablo Maia group, real estate and mortgages.

TONESS: Ted Welte is president of the Metrowest Chamber of Commerce. He says Brazilians have remade Framingham's downtown.

WELTE: We have been blessed. The folks who have decided to pick Framingham to come from other countries. They are entrepreneurs; they don't want to be on welfare, they don't want to take from society. They want to give.

TONESS: But Welte's worried that the exodus of Brazilians from Framingham will force shop owners here to shut down.

WELTE: I was here when downtown was pretty empty and I don't think anyone wants to see that again.

TONESS: There are already a handful of empty stores in downtown Framingham abandoned by Brazilian businesses. But there is one new shop just opening up. Problem is it's a shipping company. A shipping company that helps people send their belongings back to Brazil.

Source: http://www.wbur.org/news/2007/69528_20070813.asp

#31     Jan 5, 2008
  2. .

January 5, 2008

SouthAmerica: Thanks for the support to the people who appreciated the information that I posted on this thread.

One person mentioned in one of the threads temporary work.

Last Thanksgiving a met a friend of mine who works for Becton Dickinson (BD) and he told me an interesting story. He told me that BD had just announced the layoff of a number of long time permanent employees. He told me that BD was going to rehire most of these people back as temporary workers for much lower wages and without benefits.

He also told me that today BD has a lot of temporary workers working on its headquarter - so many people that a temporary employment agency called “Addeco Employment Agency” has a permanent office inside the headquarters of BD.

Becton Dickinson and Company is a global medical technology company that manufactures medical supplies, devices, laboratory equipment and diagnostic products – the company headquarters is located in Franklin Lakes, NJ, USA.

If BD decides to layoff hundreds of workers they don’t have to announce such a layoff since most of these people are working for them on a temporary basis. (No benefits, no vacation, no health plan, no pension plan, no sick days and so on.)

I wonder how many corporations in the United States are operating today regarding its work force in the same way as Becton Dickinson.

The US government will not even be able to find out how many people are losing their job and are being laid off in this new temporary job market environment.

Eventually, all these job trends that we have been discussing on this thread it will have major consequences to the United States economy.

#32     Jan 5, 2008
  3. This is true in the US.

In third world (Brasil, Argentina), most people just can't find jobs -even toilet cleaning jobs- so they emigrate to the US.

The third world, they can't find where to invest their money in their own countries, so they buy T-Bonds/stocks/real state, in the US.

So, if Brasil/Argentina/Africa is so good, then why people/money is running away from them?
    Because they are just not good, and are up to no good.

US may had become a bit less prosperous, true, but still is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the third world.

#33     Jan 5, 2008
    #34     Jan 5, 2008
  5. SouthAmerica, saying that the illegal immigrant problem in the US is being lessened day by day is pure bullshit.

#35     Jan 5, 2008
  6. empee

empee

You are correct. My bad.

#36     Jan 5, 2008
  7. .

Thermactor: “SouthAmerica, saying that the illegal immigrant problem in the US is being lessened day by day is pure bullshit.”

January 6, 2008

SouthAmerica: They talk all the time on CNN news about the illegal immigrant problem in the United States, and the US government does not have a clue about how many illegal immigrants are living in the US today – the estimates are all over the place from 12 million to as high as 20 million people.

And the illegal immigrant population has people who arrived in the US 20 years ago and even longer than that as well as people who arrived in the US in the last few years.

I doubt that the US government even has an accurate idea of how many people came to the US from which country.

I don’t blame all these people for wanting to come to the United States legally or illegally. At the end of the day most of these people wanted to come to the United States and they have been responding to the massive US marketing campaign that Americans have been promoting around the world for at least for the last 75 years.

Americans more than anybody else should understand the response of human beings to heavy marketing. In the United States we are bombarded with commercials about everything all the time – buy this, buy that, buy this buy that – and if it is a new product with heavy marketing Americans are able to create a new demand for their new product – any product – Americans buy everything in sight even pet rocks.

After being bombarded with the US marketing campaign millions of people decided to come to the US and try “The American Dream.”

A few years ago it was estimated that there were around 700,000 illegal Brazilian immigrants living in the United States – that means if only 10 percent of this people decided to go back to Brazil then we are talking about 70,000 people; let’s say 20,000 from the Boston area, another 20,000 from Florida, 20,000 from the New York Metropolitan area, and another 10,000 from the rest of the US.

I am talking about just one group – Brazilians – and I don’t know if 10 percent, 20 percent or even more people are returning to Brazil. All we know is that there are a number of people large enough leaving the United States that many communities started writing articles about the effect of this Exodus on their immediate area – these articles have been appearing in newspapers in Florida, Massachusetts, and even The New York Times had a recent article about this subject.

The Exodus started showing in many people’s radar. But again we don’t even know how many illegal immigrants we have living in the United States – it is anybody’s guess.

The problem is that it is not only the illegal immigrants that are jumping ship, I know a number of people who had been leaving in the US for decades, and many of these people became an American citizen and they had double citizenship, but they also decided that it was time to go home to Brazil – the place where they came from originally.

About 10 friends of mine who had been living in the US for over 20 years have returned home to Brazil in the last few years and I have other friends who are considering their return to Europe, and another friend who have been living in the US for over 25 years is considering his return to India.

The scary part is that all this is happening in a very short period of time.

By the way, I did not say that the illegal immigrant problem in the US is being lessened day by day.

If anything the problem with the illegal immigrants is growing day by day, because they can’t find jobs, and because the job market is getting so tough in the US the illegal immigrant problem is getting more visible and they talk a lot more about this subject on the news. On top of that the illegal immigrants are also having a problem when they need to renew their drivers license, and the states are passing all kinds of laws making their daily lives miserable.

Basically, it is getting to the point that many of these illegal immigrants will have no other alternative than to go home to the country from where they came from.

#37     Jan 6, 2008
  8. nealvan

nealvan

The people that come here are uneducated and contribute to a wide scale of problems. Not only that they are juicing the system to something like 22k a year that you and I as tax payers have to pay for. The figure for illegals is more like 30 Million. I would hardly call Mexico's trash a benefit.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ClM4cuESz0w&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ClM4cuESz0w&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

#38     Jan 6, 2008
  9. nealvan

nealvan

Aztlan Rising
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ajkAP_M4ZAM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ajkAP_M4ZAM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

These are the criminals that are coming here are part of Aztlan.

#39     Jan 6, 2008
  10. 4XIS4U

4XIS4U

south america, thanks for the info. It's just interesting to see the opinions in this thread and how they reflect the problem and real bias in the US.... people just don't get it and are not even ready to open their minds to the real problem. Point in case, our US is in REAL TROUBLE, I mean, REAL TROUBLE... you can look at every indicator you want, they all point to one thing: TROUBLE, RECESSION, HARD TIMES AHEAD... yet, everyone just prefer to visit the fancy stores and keep feeding the nasty Chinese imports... and the other countries would be rather quick to inject money into this "addictive consuming" trend... sad... the hardest thing to change in a country is their Country.

Yes, I'm sure Brazil has his big share of problems too... which has nothing to do with the USA...

a major indicator of trouble to me is the unemployment rate... it's bee increasing signficantly over YEARS in the USA, while in other countries it has been DECREASING... is that normal? I read the numbers here:
    http://www.tradeforgain.com/market-...-high-how-does-it-compare-to-other-countries/

sad and not good for us ...

#40     Jan 6, 2008