The real Unemployment rate in the United States.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by SouthAmerica, Jan 4, 2008.

1. This stupid fucking argument has got to go...
    Are you 8 years old?

PS - great stuff SA

#21     Jan 4, 2008
  2. nealvan

nealvan

The problem is not there aren't any jobs it's just that they are not desirable jobs. The workforce is very competitive. I lost a relatively fair paying job because it was not desirable to me. If I wanted to do it I could. I would not recommend anyone with a family do what I did but I'm not a family man so I looked for other opportunities.

If I wanted to work I could it just isn't very desirable to work in the US as some other countries but it's better than most. Location is also a big factor. Jobs in the US are very isolated to territory. A person looking for a tech job will have an easier time finding a job in the silicon valley and a person looking for a business job will have an easier time finding a job in Manhattan. If I were desperate for a job it wouldn't take me much time to get one.

When I was young I studied electronics and programming. I wanted to be a robotics tech so I had to know both. I got lazy though and wanted to just be a programmer. But there's not a lot of programming jobs that are good on the west coast so I would have to relocate to somewhere in the east. However if i wanted to go into electronics the silicon valley would be the place to stay. It's all a matter of training. A laborer is not going to make much depending on where their located and sometimes work comes and goes. If a person where in Texas laborers are needed where their drilling for oil and such.

It's all a matter of looking for opportunity but you do have to look for them because their just not there. The real estate industry had a lot of jobs but those people will have to look elsewhere to less desirable jobs because that boom is over. It not the end of the world just the end of that expansion.

#22     Jan 4, 2008
  3. Great article. I know so many unemployed people in their 40s that are bright, smart guys who cannot
    even get granted an interview. What about the inflation rate? They fudge that bigtime!

#23     Jan 4, 2008
  4. .

January 4, 2008

SouthAmerica: I don’t know if it is because some people on this forum have the mindset of a trader who cares only about what is happening just in the immediate future and it does not matter in which direction the market is moving, or if many traders are very young and they can’t grasp the big picture and the long term consequences of trading based on misinformation.

If you are interested only in catching the latest wave in the way up or in the way down and move quickly in and out of the market and make a quick buck then I understand why you are not interested on the stuff that I write about.

But if are investing in the market for the longer term instead of a real short ride then you should understand that there are many consequences – usually bad - when you are investing based on faulty information. The sub prime mess it is just the latest example of people doing their investing on automatic pilot and hoping for the best.

Let me give you another actual example maybe you can grasp what I am saying – WorldCom stock did show for a period of years an outstanding business results and its stock moved up accordingly to these great reported results.

Years later we found out that WorldCom had been cooking the books and they were producing these earnings from tin air – they were booking earnings that did not existed.

The WorldCom stock took off and many people made money based on these fudged figures and they kept the game going as long as they could until the house of cards collapsed.

But in the meantime people lost their jobs in companies that were competing with WorldCom because they could not come up with a strategy to keep up with the earnings gains reported by WorldCom. People got fired and proven business models became questionable because they could not produce the same results as WorldCom.

I wonder what was the full impact of WorldCom’s fraudulent earnings had on their competitors such as on AT&T and many others.

I understand why the US government produce every month these fudged figures to start with after a certain level of the unemployment rate the government has to extend the number of months that the government let people collect the unemployment benefits – and that can cost a few extra billion dollars to the government.

A higher unemployment figure makes it harder for companies to justify new investments when the employment market is deteriorating. Loans start getting harder for many businesses to get it, because lenders are not sure that these loans will be repaid.

Companies cut production of the products that they make since the demand will decline for their products as more people becomes unemployed.

I hope some of the traders on this forum understand some of the basic economic theory that brings a country into a recession and even an economic depression.

When the US government is reporting a 5 percent unemployment rate when the actual rate is over 10 percent – people should not be surprised when millions of people can’t pay their mortgages, their credit card debts, or corporations can’t pay their bondholders, and after awhile everything starts feeding on one another making things even worse than before and so on….

Most American businesses would make adjustments to their business plan that would affect the level of future employment; production and so on…Based on the different levels of current unemployment rate and future forecasts.

When you have at least a 5 percent extra unemployment rate in the US economy that it’s not being accounted for that can distort a lot figures all over the place including future company earnings and so on…

#24     Jan 4, 2008
  5. nealvan

nealvan

All this would be solved with one alternative fuel. I know there out there but the monopolies will not let them develop. My dad even worked on something that could have been used with alternatives called the smartplug. It may not work but the technology is definetly there. Greedy industries are not going to make it easy for these to evolve.
    If people didn't pay a huge portion for fuel the cost of living would be greatly curved. Everything involves oil and energy in todays world.

#25     Jan 4, 2008
  6. nealvan

nealvan

A smart company wouldn't watch the employment figures but the flow of money. I really don't care if my government lies. In fact I would be mad if they didn't because every country lies so if we didn't we would be responsible for all the garbage. What gets me is if they are not good liars, lie at the wrong time, and lie for the wrong purpose. Lieing that is pro-USA is not bad unless their lieing to be crooks (in bed with an industry). They lie about employment because it has a lot to do with investor confidence which supports foreign investment. Besides don't worry about it their all lieing one way or another. The government wasn't the one's that caused the subprime it was greedy investors. They wanted easy money. The one's that didn't know how to follow the money flow got stuck with the bag.

#26     Jan 4, 2008
  7. nealvan

nealvan

You don't want all these do gooders running the country/world trust me. You'd be walking around in a robe and living off of soup.

#27     Jan 4, 2008
  8. nealvan

nealvan

Here is where I fault the world government.
    (this might not play right now youtube does maintence at night)
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h6vSxR6UKFM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h6vSxR6UKFM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
    <a href="http://www.ecotality.com/technologies/ecobus/" target="_blank">Ecobus</a>
    <a href="http://www.poweraircorp.com/technology/" target="_blank">zincfuel technology</a>
    <a href="http://www.poweraircorp.com/markets/power-applications.asp" target="_blank">The zinc generator</a>
    <a href="http://www.smartplugs.com/" target="_blank">the smartplug</a>

When I was in my twenties I studied robotics. I then went on to start a programming company. I started out just reselling microsoft software. The bigger picture was I was going to finish my learning in programming and eventially start my dream corporation Alva Research & Development. I had this idea I could make an alternative fuel and make robots that were like humans. Every day I would conduct business and work towards my goal of having this corporation. It seemed like people were after me. Sure enough my business Neal's Software went into the gutter. The company that did my mechant services took all my money and put it into a frozen account. Now I had no money. That wasn't the only problem Paypal (cia) started messing with me. Then on Ebay there were people that were asking me weird questions about my software. They were trying to keep me from expanding all at once from different angles. Soon my reputations was tarnished and I had no way to go about funding my invention that I had made up from studying the tesla coil combined with research I did in robotics but the pressure and lack of funding was too immense.

My problem with government and industry is when there are opportunities like the links I provided and they are not all over it to make it work.

#28     Jan 5, 2008
  9. nealvan

nealvan

If the world makes it into the real space age <a href="http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2000/ast29may_1m.htm" target="_blank">anti-matter</a> will be the fuel that society revolves around. Energy will be made in space and transported to the planet.

#29     Jan 5, 2008
  10. nealvan

nealvan

Maybe they kill me in a country not like the US. You notice these are all links to countries that are American. What do think would happen in a country that supplies oil?

#30     Jan 5, 2008