The real tragedy ... education

Discussion in 'Economics' started by scriabinop23, Apr 6, 2008.

1. I can accept that. There seems to be many reasonable intelligent comments on this thread, probably based on our limited contact with Black America, Black authors, and our own opinions based on White media, the white life, etc.

I'll assume you are right in your judgement that we are clueless but that's about the end of it really. What do you want? Are you asking us to do more, based on your comments that we can't possibly know what it is to be black? Your comment begs Black America to do more for Black America because only black people understand black issues.

Re" Childbirth analogy. One does not need to have cancer to treat cancer.

#41     Apr 8, 2008
  2. This is what people miss.

Slavery, I think, was abolished in 1865. 99 years later, the civil rights act of 1964 was passed.

What this means is that there are people living, and with considerable power, who still think blacks are inferior.

They do not take into account systematic conditioning of blacks to believe that they are inferior.

Rap music is an ongoing effort to perpetuate that. If you are not a drug dealer, who become a rap star; or an athlete, or some other kind of entertainer, you cannot escape the ghetto, or so they say. This is media driven.

White children have Donald Trump and Bill Gates to look up to. Black children have 50 cent, and Allen Iverson to look up to. Again, this is media driven.

When the Bill Cosby's of the world say get off your ass and go to school. The poverty pimp like Eric Dyson attack him.

Much of the current black middle class political figures were built on the civil rights era, which in itself was a media event. The poorest of the poor were unaffected by desegregation. They are segregated to this very day.

In Atlanta, the late Coretta Scott King had a "poor people's dinner" the cost of the dinner was about 2K.

Some blacks did begin to figure it out in Tulsa, OK.

The district was burned to the ground....by whites.

The government gave no redress.

Pavlov has done many experiments on the effects of consistent conditioning.

The result is that this mess was created over time, and with considerable planning. The solution will take time, and considerable planning.

#42     Apr 8, 2008
  3. ElCubano

ElCubano

fast forward to 2008....get the point. It needs to start at home period....Bill Cosby is a fantastic example of someone to look up to' why fity??. Education at home, of course is easier said than done when the majority come from broken homes. I am not a racist and have black friends...dont make this into a racist thing...and I am talking about every race for that matter...its getting uly out there..peace

#43     Apr 8, 2008
  4. Is it hard to see the screen wearing a white hood?

Every racist spits out the same mantra: "I am just telling it like it is, stating the truth, I do not hate anyone" Must be harder and harder to find an all white neighborhood to move to nowadays where you are comfortable. I bet you miss the 1950s where the front of the bus and the best counter seats were yours. Now you have to share it with "them".

#44     Apr 8, 2008
  5. "Every racist spits out the same mantra: "I am just telling it like it is, stating the truth, I do not hate anyone""

Fair statement. Point is, use your own money to solve your own problems. If you take my tax dollars and don't want to follow my truths with my money, get your own money and follow your own truths. You want my tax dollars, call me a racist, don't like my programs but want my money?

Disclaimer: I use the word "my" "your" in a figurative sense.

#45     Apr 8, 2008
  6. #46     Apr 8, 2008
  7. You keep thinking it's a "money problem" or an "education problem" or a "family life problem", it's not, as 2cents just pointed out, it's a societal problem.

One, that while it exists in many different places to a degree, is an all consuming reality here ... like I said, 6 months.

#47     Apr 8, 2008
  8. I would "LOL", but this sure isn't funny, now is? :mad:

You want to hear what's worse?

After a lifetime of this shit (oh it definitely still exists, and sometimes it's not even subtle) I find that I've become hard-harted, and I have to concentrate really hard to "do the right thing" ... but hey, at least I know what it is. :)

#48     Apr 8, 2008
  9. No one is asking for your money or your opinion.

#49     Apr 8, 2008
  10. ElCubano

ElCubano

in the end it is up to the individual and the family to break out of that way of thinking.....as many have done; to forge ahead with or without racism. The opportunity today 2008 is there....dont bring anything from 1921 or 50 years ago...that was then this is now....time to put jesse jackson and al sharpton away and start litsening to Cosby..:D

#50     Apr 8, 2008