The real tragedy ... education

Discussion in 'Economics' started by scriabinop23, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Well we will need to do something about the population growth or we will eventually end up like China with no room to put the people. I would support having to have a license to reproduce with the requirements being that you have at least average intelligence and are capable of adequately providing for the child.

Now do not ask me how to enforce such a thing, I have no idea.

#21     Apr 7, 2008
  2. It doesn't matter because in 50 years we will do gene therapy before the little dumb ass is born to increase his/her IQ.

John

#22     Apr 7, 2008
  3. If they take the dough. I think you'll find though that your 1950's version of Appalachia isn't the reality today. The economic growth of the South has effectively eliminated much of the toothless "hillbilly" culture.

Try visiting Asheville or Greenville SC and tell me they look depressed.

#23     Apr 7, 2008
  4. I doubt that the economic growth was self generated. Cheap labor is a commodity in any environment. Compare these urban centres of commerce to the rest of the region called "Appalachia"
    I don't think all that much has changed.

That said, you seem to be for the evolution of human culture, regardless of skin. If this is truly your position, I have no problem.

I have a problem with people who target a culture based on skin to the exclusion of other cultures. I would argue that the Native American on the reservation, the White person in West Virginia, and the inner city black person in Chicago, have more in common than they do apart.

Do you have practical solutions, Pabst ?

#24     Apr 7, 2008
  5. A friend's son just graduated (non educational degree) and was selected to teach 3rd grade in a Newark school. Starting salary 60,000 a year.

His students excell in everyway. His mother was so excited she went to sit in his classroom for a week. This teacher was culled during a nationwide competition.

What is the motivation? The all black school's parents will not tolerate the public education for their children.

I could not imagine my children going to public schools and they were born in '64 (Greenwich, Conn) and '68 (Bucks County, Pa).

Children only have one chance at an education.

In Arizona, this year, the math high school requirement was raised from two to three years. Charter schools in AZ will not stoop this low.

Our legislature is allowing those who wish to start the schools to get the job done. That is the easy part.

Our college basketball coach when on paid leave (a divorce upset him). The acting coach was only being paid 375K so they had to retroactively double it at the end of the season. Our regular coach is back and he cancelled the scholarships handed out by the acting coach who is guaranteed his salary for another year although the regular coach will not let him coach as an assistant next year.

So we all are the one's who are personally responsible.

The investment club of the college paid Timmay to come and speak. They say the dinner afterwards was so much fun.

So we all are the one's who are personally responsible. It is not parents, alone, who are responsible.

Money, power and information is the heirachy. Money is going to have to be applied to maintain the right people in power so they can use the best information to get the job done.

I am betting globally. I am betting on little green sand proof computers for little kids in America and all over the world. I am betting on American Idol this month to raise well over the 76 million raised last year.

I bug the system at regular intervals. So far we have only added one year of math to the high school schedule of requirements. It is not going to be the traditional math. We are going to work through getting a vitality in math that is going to draw people to having the tools to be competent in raising the families of the future. Its scallion time.

#25     Apr 7, 2008
  6. Article:

"What If Public Schools Were Abolished?"

http://mises.org/story/2937

"But to blast public schools is not the purpose of this article. There are decent public schools and terrible ones, so there is no use generalizing. Nor is there a need to trot out data on test scores. Let me just deal with economics. All studies have shown that average cost per pupil for public schools is twice that of private schools (here is a sample study).

This runs contrary to intuition, since people think of public schools as free and private schools as expensive. But once you consider the source of funding (tax dollars vs. market tuition or donation), the private alternative is much cheaper. In fact, the public schools cost as much as the most expensive and elite private schools in the country. The difference is that the cost of public schooling is spread out over the entire population, whereas the private school cost is borne only by the families with students who attend them."

#26     Apr 7, 2008
  7. "a vitality in math"

I hope to correct the "vitality" of mathematical impairment of 25 cents a minute on a prepaid phone card that kids seem to enjoy.

#27     Apr 7, 2008
  8. Education is corrupted with the "UNIONS", the SOCALIST who claim they are democrates, fraud, waste, abuse of "Tax" dollars that are supposed to go to the kids.

the "COLLECTIVE" have destroyed the "STATE RUN" education system.

Now, they are trying to prevent "HOME SCHOOLING".

Well, you get what you get when you let BIG BROTHER run things.

Dumbing down of America has been going on for some decades now.

I feel for those who can't afford Private Education, .....ummm I lie, I could give two shits. I pay taxes and my taxes are wasted with-in the education system! What about the LOTTO money? Where is that going?

State Run schools are sucking the system dry.

Voucher programs, that was just another way to "Screw the System" by draining the school districts that actual had money.

Education .....WE DON'T NEED NO EDUCATION!!!!

#28     Apr 7, 2008
  9. I look at this as the beginning the sixth year of expenditures on a war.

Two things are apparent:

1. This is about half of the term of a child's scholastic education, and

2. The amount of money sunk in the war through its financing represents replacing every brick in the entire system every five years.

Replacing the ystem every five years would provide a lot of jobs and fewer deaths and accidents and much much less of families being separated from one another.

We need to begin to take responsibility for these things.

#29     Apr 7, 2008
  10. I believe a key ingredient in a healthy economy is producing talent. We aren't competing against each other for jobs, we are competing gloabally. But how can we compete when our goverment doesn't want to produce entrepreneurs or encourage innovation?

Funny this topic comes up. This evening I was helping my God daughter with her Math homework. It isn't about getting the exact answer, it simply asks what is the CLOSEST answer. So we are teaching estimation...very very sad.

I think the one of problems with our educational system is there is no bridge between research and practice.

I have another friend the is in college and can't figure out the answer to this SIMPLE math question.

Larry wants to have $20,000 in 5 years with continous compound interest of 6.1%. How much should be invest now?

College students can't answer this question? What does that say about America. That is BASIC math.

#30     Apr 7, 2008