The real purpose of global warming?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jeafl, Jul 28, 2006.

1. If I argue that we're in a bull market, someone would say, "How can we be in a bull market when all the stocks I hold are negative this year!" You get the idea.

Have you heard the story "Blind Men and the Elephant?"
    [​IMG]

It was six men of Indostan
    To learning much inclined,
    Who went to see the Elephant
    (Though all of them were blind),
    That each by observation
    Might satisfy his mind

The First approached the Elephant,
    And happening to fall
    Against his broad and sturdy side,
    At once began to bawl:
    “God bless me! but the Elephant
    Is very like a wall!”

The Second, feeling of the tusk,
    Cried, “Ho! what have we here
    So very round and smooth and sharp?
    To me ’tis mighty clear
    This wonder of an Elephant
    Is very like a spear!”

The Third approached the animal,
    And happening to take
    The squirming trunk within his hands,
    Thus boldly up and spake:
    “I see,” quoth he, “the Elephant
    Is very like a snake!”

The Fourth reached out an eager hand,
    And felt about the knee.
    “What most this wondrous beast is like
    Is mighty plain,” quoth he;
    “ ‘Tis clear enough the Elephant
    Is very like a tree!”

The Fifth, who chanced to touch the ear,
    Said: “E’en the blindest man
    Can tell what this resembles most;
    Deny the fact who can
    This marvel of an Elephant
    Is very like a fan!”

The Sixth no sooner had begun
    About the beast to grope,
    Than, seizing on the swinging tail
    That fell within his scope,
    “I see,” quoth he, “the Elephant
    Is very like a rope!”

And so these men of Indostan
    Disputed loud and long,
    Each in his own opinion
    Exceeding stiff and strong,
    Though each was partly in the right,
    And all were in the wrong!

Moral:

So oft in theologic wars,
    The disputants, I ween,
    Rail on in utter ignorance
    Of what each other mean,
    And prate about an Elephant
    Not one of them has seen!

#41     Jul 31, 2006
  2. When I cook a scrambled egg, the heat eventually radiates back into space. But, between the time that I expose the heat to the environment of the pan, and the time that it radiates into space, the eggs get cooked...just as our biosphere is currently being cooked by human industrial activity.

Like I said. You hold true to your theory and if you're under 30 years old, you will very likely have an opportunity to witness its folly. This doesn't mean that the world will come to an end. It just means that there will be some pretty severe environmental consequences which will challenge human survival.

Anyway, I'm out. Enjoy your debate with Mr. Bond.

#42     Jul 31, 2006
  3. jeafl

jeafl

And you are here advocating nuclear power as the only viable alternative to oil? You must not be a very smart investor.

#43     Jul 31, 2006
  4. jeafl

jeafl

Yes. It is a very apt description of the fanatical global warming hysteria that is allowed to run rampant in the absence of legitimate science.

#44     Jul 31, 2006
  5. jeafl

jeafl

You, the frying pan, the stove, the egg, earth and sun are all part of a closed system. Frying the egg does not alter the amount of energy/heat present. You are only facilitating the changing of energy from one form to another.

Whether or not any other of your activities is keeping the energy bottled up on earth remains to be scientifically proven.

#45     Jul 31, 2006
  6. Are you an investor at all? I may not be a very smart investor, but I've made enough money to satisfy myself.

#47     Jul 31, 2006
  7. From your posts it's easy to tell that you have no clue what science is. So don't pretend that you know better than 90% of the scientists.

#48     Jul 31, 2006
  8. You get an F in a physics class. The solar system is an open system. It exchanges energy and material with the outside environment. The earth is an open system. The milky way galaxy is an open system. You'll have to go to the level of the entire universe before postulating that it might be a closed system. But even that is not necessarily true, because, as we all know, the universe exchanges energy and material with God.

#49     Jul 31, 2006
  9. jeafl

jeafl

Are the greenhouse gases in the atmosphere evenly distributed throughout the atmosphere? If there is any part of the atmosphere that lacks enough greenhouse gases to trap heat, wouldn’t heat from the earth find its way to this part of the atmosphere and thus be allowed to return to outer space? If there is a place on earth where the atmosphere above still allows heat to escape to outer space, wouldn’t the heat at that place on earth escape- thereby creating wind currents that would draw heat from elsewhere to that place where it too would escape through the atmosphere- which would negate the greenhouse effect?

#50     Jul 31, 2006