the REAL holy grail

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by mind, Nov 25, 2008.

1. mind

mind

(including this thread.)

#11     Nov 25, 2008
  2. Shaqi

Shaqi

mmmm - I can easily double a $5k in 3 days

mmmm - Doubling a $500k account can take 2 years -

the point is doubling an account is relative and not indicative of long term profitablility which is a more important matter

#12     Nov 25, 2008
  3. Jerry030

Jerry030

Is your system mechanical or model based?

I agree Forex is different. For reasons I haven't been able to determine Forex models much better than Futures.

Possible reasons might include: lack of central exchange and global distribution of major players, high transastion vol., or others I haven't thought of yet.

#13     Nov 25, 2008
  4. Jerry030

Jerry030

What are you trading that limits $500K to 2 years?

#14     Nov 25, 2008
  5. 5) dont start new threads, when you really have nothing new to say, it wastes your time

move this to chit chat, please

#15     Nov 25, 2008
  6. mind

mind

i do not distinguish between "mechanic" and "model",
    it is not static, if this is what you mean. but it is not a
    very black box either.

it is supposed to deliver a sharpe around 2. for the time
    being trading EUR/USD only. want to see some data on
    slippage and generally see how it is doing.

#16     Nov 25, 2008
  7. mind

mind

i know. just fall over these holy grail threads once in a
    while and thought it is about time to state what i think
    about all of them ... i already half regret having started
    this one ... it is really a distraction ...

#17     Nov 25, 2008
  8. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

This is because he is violating all sorts of money management rules with the 5 k account. And then people would ask the question, "Why do most traders fail?" or "Who makes up the statistics that show 95 percent of traders failing?" Once again, and finally, thank you for your time.:)

#18     Nov 25, 2008
  9. Jerry030

Jerry030

What do you do with the account statements you collect...sell the scrap paper to a recycler to offset your trading losses?

When is your therapist getting back in town...soon we hope.

The terms are somewhat unclear but in my usage a mechanical system uses linear rules to automatically trade. Things like:

1) If Hibert Phase >180 AND
    2) if close of bar > MACD x AND
    3) no Doji Star in last 7 bars

then buy

A model refers to a non-linear and/or complex stastical processes usually using neural networks, SOM, PCA or similar approaches. In these cases the modeling application generates it's own rules for when to trade automatically, The system developer avoids all that work in trying to find the "right" 8 indicators and how they interact to create a trading system. Also the accuracy is vastly better than linear crisp rule logic.

Slippage…who is your broker? I’m with IB on IdealPro. They look pretty good.

#19     Nov 25, 2008
  10. Jerry030

Jerry030

Yes, that and he may also be talking about stocks which has it's limitations in terms of making serious money.

#20     Nov 25, 2008