The Ratio Put Spread That Has Boomed For Mega tech and SPY

Discussion in 'Options' started by CML_Ophir, Aug 13, 2018.

1. CML_Ophir

CML_Ophir

With an idea in hand, and a powerful back-tester to test it, we came across a fascinating 1x2x1x2 put spread that has been a beauty over the last 2-,3-, and 5-years.

First, the Custom Strategy:

[​IMG]

The test, in English:

* Buy a two-week (or whatever is closest) 40 delta put

* Sell 2 30 delta puts (same expiration)

* Sell a 22 delta put (same expiration)

* Buy a 15 delta put (same expiration)

This is a covered trade as it is long 3 options and short 3 options.

Results

Here are the results over the last 3-years

[​IMG]

Something to Think About
    While it's easy to dismiss this as working only because we are in a bull market, that's not quite true. This trade, at the top, is in fact a bearish position for a credit.

(It's a 1x2 put spread).

The bull market isn't the drive, but what has been is the lack of massive "black swan" drops. Having said that, no matter how bad the stock gap, this is a fully hedged position that does have a maximum loss.

What Happened
    There's a lot less luck to successful option trading than many people realize. So...

1) Take a reasonable idea or hypothesis, test it, and apply lessons learned.

2) Identify profitable patterns that have repeated over and over again for years.

This back-tester is from us (Capital Market Laboratories). You can se my footer to learn more about who we are."

You can see this in actual action, here: http://bit.ly/elite_options

(video in the middle of the page)

positive etc likes this.
  2. EvanDM

EvanDM

Why did you pick 14 days?

3. CML_Ophir

CML_Ophir

Was my first random choice. I don't like selling penny options, and weeklies would be that. I will try monthlies and three-week options too.

This is why we built the back-tester and why it is the most heavily used option back-tester in the world.

4. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

This is a great study Ophir, thanks for sharing. Would you mind posting what a leveraged stock position in GOOGL, AMZN and SPY would have looked like over the past 3 years. If you have time, could you also back test this same strategy on Yahoo, QQQ, CSCO from the time period 1995 -2000?
    Thanks in advance

5. traider

traider

How feasible is it to execute 6 options at the same time without paying full spread on all of them?

CML_Ophir likes this.
  6. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

Your going to make 1000% I am not to sure why you are worried about the spread here.

7. EvanDM

EvanDM

You could probably get filled somewhere near the mid.

CML_Ophir likes this.
  8. destriero

destriero

Why staggered back spreads? Why not simply double up?

9. EvanDM

EvanDM

Or broken wing butterfly?

CML_Ophir likes this.
  10. Only one is a back spread; the other is a ratio spread.

#10     Aug 13, 2018