The "Rapture"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RangeBar, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Let us explore the concept of "interpretations" a little farther.
    I most heartily agree that when man begins to "interpret", as defined by "....to explain the meaning of...." the Word of G-D, division and indeed "religion" itself is the by-product. The Word of G-D, as I believe it is contained in Scripture, cannot be "interpretated", it is to be believed and obeyed or discarded and scorned, nothing more.

The subject of your comments, Mr. Hitler, who you are using as an example of a follower of Christ, would have done well to cleave to the words and commands of his Redeemer, and failing that, to have followed the good example of his fellow countrymen and fellow followers of Christ, Zacharias Ursinus and Caspar Olevianus, as contained in the "Heidelberg Catechism [1576 A.D.]". Specifically questions 105, 106 and 107, which "interpret" the sixth commandment "..Thou shall not kill....":

105. Q. What does God require in the sixth commandment ?
    A. I am not to dishonour, hate, injure, or kill my neighbor by thoughts, words, or gestures, and much less by deeds, whether personally or through another; [1] rather, I am to put away all desire of revenge, [2] Moreover, I am not to harm or recklessly endanger myself, [3] Therefore, also, the government bears the sword to prevent murder.

106. Q. But does this commandment speak only of killing ?

A. By forbidding murder God teaches us that He hates the root of murder, such as envy, hatred, anger, and desire of revenge, [1] and that He regards all these as murder,

107. Q. Is it enough, then, that we do not kill our neighbor in any such way ?

A. No. When God condemns envy, hatred, and anger, He commands us to love our neighbor as ourselves, [1] to show patience, peace, gentleness, mercy, and friendliness toward him, [2] to protect him from harm as much as we can, and to do good even to our enemies.

Regarding your example of a christian, Mr. Hitler and his "interpretation", the words of Christ ring true:

"..For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. ........."

#31     Nov 1, 2009
  2. i guess your god must be a do as i say not as i do kind of guy since his book indicates that he has no problem murdering innocent women and children:

Kill Men, Women, and Children

"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin your task right here at the Temple." So they began by killing the seventy leaders. "Defile the Temple!" the LORD commanded. "Fill its courtyards with the bodies of those you kill! Go!" So they went throughout the city and did as they were told." (Ezekiel 9:5-7 NLT)

#32     Nov 1, 2009
  3. vhehn, are you sure that you want to make your point based upon these passages ? I would suggest that you, if able, read the entire message, from chapter 8 through chapter 12.

But, none the less, I would ask you a question:

Was the execution of Timothy McVeigh an acceptable act of the authority of the government ?

#33     Nov 1, 2009
  4. stu

stu

It would appear you and god both, erm rather G-D, excuse me, have something in common.....

....you believe there cannot be interpretation

...so you recommended following an interpretation[​IMG]

Well done Barth,
    if there's one thing religion and the religious depend on it's contradiction. Especially self-contradiction.

Next up...do we get confusion? I think probably so.

#34     Nov 1, 2009
  5. Good morning stu

I will grant you that the written word does not allow for the nuance of the spoken word............so may I say that you have misunderstood the meaning of my remarks.

None the less, as I stated in my reply to Misthos, when man starts to interpret, this is when religion is born. G-D does not have a religion, G-D has His Word.

Do not confuse "interpretation" with "instruction", which of course, is what the Creeds and the referenced Heidelberg Catechism are. The Spirit instructs, flesh tries to interpret its way around this instruction.

#35     Nov 1, 2009
  6. yes. i hope you are not going to try and justify your god murdering babies.

#36     Nov 1, 2009
  7. Gee, liberals do it all the time:) .

#37     Nov 1, 2009
  8. christians abort more babies in the us than atheists do.

#38     Nov 1, 2009
  9. stu

stu

'mornin Barth

dude, come on man, you cannot make kill mean don't kill, either by a so called spoken word from a big magical self-contradictory cloud Daddy, or if written as some sort of suspect spiritual instruction.

If you don't mind me saying, this type of dishonesty in meaning, speech and word is exactly what the religious fall back on all the time. A contrived deception which serves to besmirch humanity.
    Actually, it's a disgrace.

#39     Nov 1, 2009
  10. Hey lib genius, the populations have a 10/1 ratio.

#40     Nov 1, 2009