The “Pro”-cess - Discipline -

Discussion in 'Trading' started by xburbx, Oct 22, 2019.

1. I'm glad to hear that! I find it very strange that a lot of retail traders don't really keep track of volume, which is half the price equation (after all, volume is the representation of supply-demand over a specific time period).

#31     Oct 22, 2019
    tommcginnis and xburbx like this.
  2. qlai

qlai

Right, let's say you can automate drawing the lines exactly how you would do manually. Will there be any discretion after that? For example, have you ever taken a trade where your s/r was not reached by one tick? How about it went through by 10 ticks but then came back to it? In other words, do you look at anything besides your lines?

#32     Oct 22, 2019
  3. xburbx

xburbx

Thanks. Due to this batch of trades being under strict rule set , my answer would be no to the discretion of execution. My rules for myself are clear.

Have I ever done that prior to this. Way too many times :)

[
    QUOTE="qlai, post: 4948353, member: 494677"]Right, let's say you can automate drawing the lines exactly how you would do manually. Will there be any discretion after that? For example, have you ever taken a trade where your s/r was not reached by one tick? How about it went through by 10 ticks but then came back to it? In other words, do you look at anything besides your lines?[/QUOTE]

#33     Oct 22, 2019
  4. Correct.

You don't want your process to be complex or to be implemented with too many rules/variables.

Advice from a famous trader... "Simply your method as much as possible. When you're done with that, simplify again."

KISS, as always.

#34     Oct 22, 2019
    S-Trader and andre.salmeron like this.
  5. xburbx

xburbx

I think part of where I am is because I went to the absolute deepest depths of TA and the answer wasn’t there.

Simple is where I’m restarting . I stripped it all down.

#35     Oct 22, 2019
  6. dozu888

dozu888

This won’t work. Lines live only in your head. The market doesn’t care.

#36     Oct 23, 2019
    luckyfnlou likes this.
  7. traider

traider

Please dozu, don't teach everyone the secret of holding the index to the moon. More people trying to trade is better for people who believe in buy and hold. Allows us to buy at a discount and sell at a premium when there is mass hysteria

#37     Oct 23, 2019
  8. xburbx

xburbx

Same plan ... new day. Here we go.

#38     Oct 23, 2019
  9. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I have never seen a "T/A" book or article that explains the T/A freely used, every single day, by every single *successful* hedge/algo/"alternative financial vehicle" you care to name. It's as if the T/A toolset were all those oversized plastic screwdrivers and wrenches that are given to toddlers to work a plastic nut&bolt or round-headed screw -- while the assignment in front of you is to tune a factory-fresh McLaren P1 to compete at La Mans -- and then everyone throws their collective hands up in frustration, and declares the whole enterprise false and bogus and fraudulent. (In the meantime, the guys in the next garage are bent over the hood of their racey little beast, tuning it to fly, with those same, simple, tools....)

Please understand, xburbx -- if you've dumped the standard thoughts about "T/A" and started from an empty board, that is a good thing. A *very* good thing.

#39     Oct 23, 2019
    S-Trader and jeffbader like this.
  10. xburbx

xburbx

Yup. I think at this point my TA knowledge is totally sufficient to achieve the task at hand. It's likely way more than needed. I just should have stopped digging deeper into TA years ago and focused on my brain. No regrets. This is my journey either way.

#40     Oct 23, 2019
    jeffbader and tommcginnis like this.