The price of populism in the republican party

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Some guys are too dogmatic and always sure they are always right to ever change in this lifetme... ! With visionaries like that don't need blind ones!

#31     Oct 13, 2008

2. Bravo!

#32     Oct 13, 2008
  3. jem

jem

I disagree - I think Pabst is saying we did have a dream and the reality we had is far better than the one you are proposing.

Make no mistake about it. ZZZ has revealed his hatred of white christians. We had a long thread in which I spoke to him about his quotes. He struggles every day to avoid revealing his real hatred. zzz is not an agent for some big wonderful diverse world of tolerance ... he hates white people in America.

#33     Oct 13, 2008
  4. So you believe I hate white Christians?

What can I say about you, as a white Christian, holding to irrational beliefs?

Not only that, you believe I hate all white people in America?

I struggle every day not to reveal my hatred?

That sure is an interesting list of acquisitions...

#34     Oct 13, 2008
  5. jem

jem

did we not have a conversation on ET in which you revealed your hatred of white christians?

#35     Oct 14, 2008
  6. I don't hate white Christians.

I dislike the way many white Christians treat and/or feel about both white and non white non Christians...

#36     Oct 14, 2008
  7. Just as a point of interest, I truly wonder about the alcoholic Troll's origins. There are only two possibilities here. He writes

"That sure is an interesting list of acquisitions"

when what he is trying to say is

"That sure is an interesting list of accusations".

Now... clearly, we're not dealing with a typo here. You don't try to type accusations and accidentally type acquisitions. However, someone struggling with English would probably not know how to spell 'acquisitions'.

I've often thought that Z's behaviour here speaks to some sort of psychopathology. Thsi seems to support that belief, or else indicate that English is not his first language. This is only interesting insofar as we can speculate about where he's from originally.

#37     Oct 14, 2008
  8. ZZZzzz could have meant inquisitions?

#38     Oct 15, 2008
  9. Poll: Obama Opens 14-Point Lead On McCain

Oct. 14, 2008
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (CBS) Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama is entering the third and final presidential debate Wednesday with a wide lead over Republican rival John McCain nationally, a new CBS News/New York Times poll shows.

The Obama-Biden ticket now leads the McCain-Palin ticket 53 percent to 39 percent among likely voters, a 14-point margin. One week ago, prior to the Town Hall debate that uncommitted voters saw as a win for Obama, that margin was just three points.

Among independents who are likely voters - a group that has swung back and forth between McCain and Obama over the course of the campaign - the Democratic ticket now leads by 18 points. McCain led among independents last week.

McCain's campaign strategy may be hurting hurt him: Twenty-one percent of voters say their opinion of the Republican has changed for the worse in the last few weeks. The top two reasons cited for the change of heart are McCain's attacks on Obama and his choice of Sarah Palin as running mate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poll Finds Widespread Pessimism About U.S.

Oct. 14, 2008
    (CBS) Across the country, there is widespread pessimism about Congress, the economic bailout plan, and the direction of the country, a new CBS News/New York Times poll finds.

Nearly nine in ten Americans - a record high - now believe the country is on the wrong track, surpassing the high of 83 percent reached in May. Just 7 percent say the country is headed in the right direction.

Approval of Congress, meanwhile, is at a record low. Just 12 percent now approve of the job Congress is doing, and for the first time in 30 years, fewer than half approves of the job their own representative is doing. President Bush's overall approval rating stands at 24 percent, close to its all-time low.

Americans disapprove of the $700 billion economic bailout bill passed by Congress and signed into law by President Bush earlier this month by a nearly two-to-one margin. Just 28 percent approve of the bailout plan, down three points from last week. A majority - 53 percent - disapprove, while 19 percent say they don't know.

Americans have low expectations for the plan. Only about one in three believes the bill will be effective, while a slightly higher percentage - 38 percent - believe it will have no impact. Fifteen percent believe it will make things worse.

And they continue to believe that the bailout plan will aid a few big investors and people on Wall Street, not the whole country. Sixty-three percent say the plan will just benefit Wall Street, up from 54 percent when the plan was first proposed about two weeks ago. Just 28 percent believe it will benefit homeowners and people across the country.

While a majority of Americans support the notion of the federal government offering to help homeowners struggling to pay their mortgages, support has waned. Early in October, six in 10 Americans approved of that idea. Support has dropped to about half now, and 38 percent disapprove. Democrats are more likely than Republicans to support the idea.

Perceptions of the nation's economy - which 57 percent of voters say is the most important issue in deciding whom to support for president - are extremely negative. Zero percent of Americans describe the condition of the economy as "very good," and just 11 percent call it "somewhat good." Thirty-eight percent describe it as "fairly bad," while half describe it as "very bad."

Two-thirds expect the economy to get worse, a slight improvement from last week, when three in four said as much. Just 5 percent believe the economy is improving.

Disapproval of the bailout plan appears to have taken a toll on public opinion of Congress. Now only 12 percent of Americans approve of the way Congress is handling its job, another record low following the 15 percent approval rating recorded last week. A record 74 percent of Americans disapprove, including large majorities of Democrats, Republicans, and independents alike.

Americans have historically been more likely to approve of their own representative in Congress than of Congress as a whole, and they still do. But the percentage of Americans who approve of the job their representative is doing - now 43 percent - has dipped below 50 percent for the first time since the question was first asked over 30 years ago. Thirty-one percent disapprove of their representative's performance.

Mr. Bush's approval rating on the economy, at 18 percent, is lower than his overall 24 percent approval rating. And Americans' faith in government has diminished. Nearly three in four now trust the government to do the right thing only some of the time; about one in ten volunteers that they can never trust Washington to do what is right.

The last time public trust in government was this low was in late 1994 and early 1995 -- around the time of the Republican takeover of Congress and the shutdown of the government after an impasse over the federal budget.

This poll was conducted among a random sample of 1,070 adults nationwide, including 972 registered voters, interviewed by telephone October 10-13, 2008. Phone numbers were dialed from RDD samples of both standard land-lines and cell phones. The error due to sampling for results based on the entire sample and the sample of registered voters could be plus or minus three percentage points. The error for subgroups is higher.

#39     Oct 15, 2008
  10. Maybe so, but isn't the disconnect between his brain and his fingers strange? It wasn't a typo, his brain provided a completely different word!

#40     Oct 15, 2008