The Price Of A Big Mac Is Now $17.19 In Zurich

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by THE-BEAKER, Aug 10, 2011.

1. The price of a Big Mac is now $17.19 in Zurich

Just a quick thought on a ridiculously volatile day:

One of the things that people pick up on very quickly as they travel are how different price levels are around the world. I've been to roughly 100 countries, and I still find it amazing how much variance there is among things like food, property, and entertainment prices.

There are certain places-- Cambodia, Ecuador, Tanzania-- that are so jaw-droppingly cheap that it almost seems unreal. And you wonder how these people could possibly ever survive if they came to your country.

Well, the United States has just joined this proud cadre banana republics... at least if you're from Switzerland.

You see, the Swiss franc is one of the few currencies that have given investors some sense of comfort recently; Switzerland inspires confidence and stability, and the worse things get in the United States and Europe, the more investors pull their money out of the dollar and euro, and park it in the Swiss franc.

It's all about supply and demand. Increased demand for the Swiss franc coupled with expanded supply of dollars and euros has caused the franc to surge over the last weeks and months. It wasn't too long ago that it would take 1.20 francs to buy a US dollar. Now it takes $1.40 to buy a single franc.

I can think of a lot of words to describe the performance of the US dollar. Farce. Joke. Lunacy. Embarrassment. Disgusting. But it's more clearly summed up like this: the price of a Big Mac is in Zurich is now so high (at $17.19) that a minimum wage employee in Minneapolis, Minnesota, would have to work for nearly 4-hours in order to afford it.

This is what stability looks like to Ben Bernanke.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/price-big-mac-now-1719-zurich

2. a big mac in minneapolis minnesota is $3 not $17, the american worker buys the big mac at where he lives not fly across the atlantic to zurich. That's <1hr min wage, pretty reasonable cost of living to me.

everyone knows the story behind the dollar and its gradual loss of buying power, but these sensationalist scribbles are pure bullshit, and you could be considered a retard for pasting such nonsense.

3. the price in zurich is 17 dollars.

thats switzerland.

try reading the thread you prick

4. When I visited Zurich in 2009 and the dollar was at parity with the CHF, prices weren't higher than you'd expect in Europe. They had a McRaclette sandwich made with local cheese for like 6 CHF, and the dollar menu stuff like the McDouble or its equivalent discount cheeseburger was maybe like 2 CHF.

$17 for a Big Mac does not make sense to me, given the only 30 percent loss in dollar value vs. the swiss franc

5. a big mac costs $8.98 in Zurich

6. So Big Mac costs 12.14 Swiss francs in Switzerland?

So if the dollar was at parity with the Swiss franc, it would cost $12.14 in Switzerland?

Rip off.

7. Sounds right.

The author is severely retarded.

8. Pekelo

Pekelo

...and of course nobody counted that the price of the ingredients can be vastly different.

According to this discussion:

http://www.englishforum.ch/food-drink/30611-price-meat.html

the price of ground beef over there is 15 CHF per kilo and that is more than double of the US price if I can trust my calculator....

#10     Aug 10, 2011