The power of Music on the Brain ?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by harrytrader, Mar 17, 2004.

1. #21     Mar 17, 2004

2. i would play the lectures at a very low low volume, on a continuous tape while i slept the night before the big exams.

this was, ofcourse, after listening to my favorite punk rock bands while skateboarding from class to class.

i agree with you about hearing damage. my hearing is not the best due to high volume experiences in college. just have to turn it up a little louder now....

LOL !

surfer :)

#22     Mar 17, 2004
  3. People who play loud music can be difficult to deal with but one day, I did get my revenge.

They moved three ladies into an office next to me that listened to wham bam boop boop crap music, turned up very loud, all day long. There was a steel interior door between our adjoining offices which was locked but seemed to funnel it all into my office.

One day, I got tired of asking them to turn it down so I brought a radio to work and pressed it flat against the steel door, dialed in a country music station which I knew that they would obviously hate, turned it on and turned the volume up as loud as it would go. Then I locked up my office and left for the day.

The next day, when I returned to work my radio was turned off but I never heard another peep out of the other office again so I think that they got the message.

#23     Mar 18, 2004
  4. #24     Mar 18, 2004
  5. saxon

saxon

Someone who is suicidally depressed could probably be induced to commit suicide by almost anything.... being on the lookout for an inducement anyway. Even listening to Lawrence Welk might do it!!

(Not so hard to imagine).

:)

saxon

#25     Mar 18, 2004
  6. =========================
    Music is also used to influence;
    I am thinking of a non-nutritional product i dont drink much but buy thier orange juice & bought one bottle of thier water.

Have been offered a lot of that brand of bottled water & usually take it brcause its free to me.

Music probably helped;
    some of thier ads rhyme, probably more effective than some that dont rhyme.:cool:

Lot of truth in that proverb if done persistantly.

Music also sets the mood & grabs attention;
    just saw the ad where the music warns you of a mountain lion sneaking up on that kid, in old black & white film.

#26     Mar 19, 2004
  7. I think a love deception at this age can be devastating. Happily it never happened to me - I don't fall in love easily only of exceptional persons :D - but I saw it occurs to others at that period. I guess that they rather listen to these kind of music to have the courage to do the act than the contrary.

#27     Mar 20, 2004
  8. "Perhaps an answer to John McCollum's father as too how his son could change from a seemingly happy child overnight "

This is an 'red flag' statement. No child, teenager or person changes overnight. There were deeper problems with the teenager. Whether or not the parents were aware of the problem or part of the problem we'll never know.

But it's doubtfull that the music was anything more than a catalysts if that much.

Best wishes to his family and others in similar situations.

Chip

#28     Mar 20, 2004