The Pity Party

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by tlow, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Holy Sh-- Can you give composure lessons :) Great story. Of course it won't be complete until you fess up about your "dream car" [Make, Model, Color, etc.]

#11     Oct 22, 2010
  2. pak

pak

I wasn’t going to Free, but since u asked:

Black Ferrari 328…at that time I couldn’t pop for the real deal “the Testarossa” so I “settled” for the 328!

And believe me…it still was worth it…:)

#12     Oct 22, 2010
  3. NICE

Never owned a Ferrari, but I have no doubt that you made a better choice. The 328's (and later evolutions) always had better / cleaner lines than the Tet's. The Tet's were more about flash. I suspect the 328's were better balanced and probably drove rings around the Tet's in the twisties :D

#13     Oct 22, 2010
  4. pak

pak

And just to give this topic post some balance…the BEST (luckiest) trade was:

Again, at that time I noticed the seasonal aspect of oj ( the winter freeze play) so I went long at the end of the summer in august-noticing that prices usually rise coming into the winter
    (and it did) -hoping for that freeze to come in Dec/Jan.

Now comes Christmas and my parents force me to take a week vacation in Maui. Were staying in one of those top hotels that bring u a newspaper at breakfast. I get up early alone and go eat…The waitress hands me a copy of The Honolulu paper and on the front page in Bold headlines “ Major Freeze hits Florida” with a picture of an icicle hanging from an orange on a tree!...And then another one of those heart attack moments of Trading!!

I immediately left to make that call (way before cell phones)...
    Final result: 5 days limit up and the Mai tai’s were flowing that week!!

It shocking to me that it was so easy to hold positions for months way back then…and now I’m struggling to keep it for 15 minutes!

Cest la vie...

#14     Oct 22, 2010
  5. JM1987

JM1987

Major rookie move, sending out an order and waiting to get filled forever... so long I actually I forgot about it. I was still at my screen though so even if I would have gotten filled I could have gotten out. BUT silly me went to a meeting and forgot to cancel all pending orders, so when I came back out I was down .25$ per share. Umm, another one would be trying to trade IBM at the open...enough said haha

#15     Oct 23, 2010
  6. You violated the Warren Buffet of "don't time to time the market; and if you insist try to be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful"

Hope you have enough blue post-its.

#16     Oct 24, 2010
  7. Great story. Your point about trade duration says a lot about how trading has changed for many over the years. For balance, my best trade came playing the seasonal in NG in the fall of 2000. Supply constraints and weather launched NG to unheard prices. This combined with partial (therefore flawed) deregulation in CA put the utilities in the poor house. (Rough times for rate payers).

#17     Oct 24, 2010