The Perpetuated Fraud of Candle Charting

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Fleming Snopes, Dec 7, 2009.

1. You are so cruel to make an old man feel his decrepit age! Venerable Eli was at least as old as I am now when I first met him. I'll never forget the little mnemonic he taught me way back when: Black Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives Willingly, Get Some Now. A mnemonic doubtless needed no longer. As to your dilemma, my only counter observation is that so many codes work on one minute that you will see trades based on support or resistance trip exactly on the change of the minute. Inexplicably, the spread often widens for that one second. I have looked at other likely time frames and found nothing there. So I agree. Which is why I stay glued to my compressed one second chart, lost in an otherwise referenceless ocean of swells.

#21     Dec 8, 2009
  2. Perhaps that old man shouldn't make such definitive statements when it's only his own limitations that are the real issue at hand :)

But then again, that old man has something that works for him so we are happy for him. We just hope that old man would stop obsessing over stuff that he "doesn't use".

#22     Dec 8, 2009
  3. Alas, I attended school in the earlier part of this decade, so I learned it as Bad Boys Race Our Young Girls Behind Victory Garden Walls, with a smirk from the professor. The "get some now" portion is a clever addition, however, I must confess ignorance as to the meaning of the "now" portion.

It is actually still useful - certainly quicker than trying to fumble for the little cards that come included in the textbooks.

#23     Dec 8, 2009
  4. Unless I'm mistaken, and all traders worldwide take a synchronised breather every 15mins/5mins/1min, I totally agree on intraday phase shift - the problem is easy to illustrate by constructing a certain series of price ticks, generate the candles, then, shift the phase and get a new series of candles that look very different. In view of this ambuiguity, it's a total mystery to me how you are supposed to discern patterns from intraday candles.

But for anyone who can use them successfully, well, I take off my hat to you.

#24     Dec 8, 2009
  5. I prefer to take my hat off to people in the summer months. It's more of a win-win that way.

#25     Dec 8, 2009
  6. The "Get Some Now" was the tolerance: gold, silver, no color. I forget the values.

#26     Dec 8, 2009
  7. Yossarian, that is indeed the catch-22 of charting.

#27     Dec 8, 2009
  8. There is no denying that your charting software must be robust and match the mkt exactly (meaning close and open of bars, whatever frame you look at). If you use charts through your broker (free charts) then that could be a major issue as I've never seen accurate free charting software. I mean accurate on ALL bars/candles.

We are all screwed if we trade off charts and our data isn't pristine.

#28     Dec 8, 2009
  9. So true. That is why I rag on SCT traders. Due to errors in the raw data stream in fast markets, anywhere from 5 to 15% of volume is underreported by the charting software. If either the bid or the ask is null, and last is at neither, the software drops it from T&S and from counting in volume. So much for fine distinctions about volume trend.

#29     Dec 8, 2009
  10. I always refresh my data during a fast bar and it always updates if the data wasn't pulled through. I have multiple data sources for volume and they always line up (meaning they are consistent across sources). In the rare cases they don't, I can usually tell enough to have confidence to place a trade (if indeed I get a setup during this time).

I cannot speak for others who use volume, to the accuracy of their data, but I can tell you with confidence that I don't usually ever have any issues with under-reporting volume. And, if it is done without my knowledge, then it's very consistent across sources because it hasn't seemed to be an issue in terms of following the sequences of my trading and the outcomes of my trades.

#30     Dec 8, 2009