The Perfect Trader and the Prop Firm

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by billsafari, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Don...Oakbrook? Really? Maybe Chicago would have been a little more appealing if you actually looked at living in the city. Just sayin...:)

#21     Sep 1, 2011
  2. bone

bone

Don is too big for Oakbrook.

Don is a bright lights big city broad shoulders entertainment kind of guy.

Don - great sports town, great food town, great drinking town, and MidWestern gals with big mammaries.

Think of all the money you could spend just on sporting box seats. Bulls, Bears, Blackhawks, Cubs, White Sox, some college games.

#22     Sep 1, 2011
  3. Yeah, Bob actually had a nice place on Ginger Creek for a few years, after living in Hinsdale....

[​IMG]

I spent quite some time at our partners Condo on Lakeshore (nice).. walking distance to the floor (at least back then, LOL).... and spent time in his "Park Avenue home" in NYC (what a dump for $2500 per month back then, LOL).....

But, sticking with Chicago... I really do like it there.. it's just that I was born and raised in CA and NV, and never have been the type to be "downtown" ... as cool at it is.....

all the best,

Don

#23     Sep 1, 2011
  4. WS_MJH

WS_MJH

Not in Chicago, but always wondered about prop firms. I know about the buying power and maybe you'll get some training at a few. But are there really that many more advantages. Unless the firm has proprietary software, anyone can get cqg, xtrader or bloomberg, and shop around for the best broker for execution. I'm guessing the main advantage is being around other successful guys, but it seems to me the successful ones want to be by themselves with their strategy unless the firm shares equally in the profits.

#24     Sep 1, 2011

5. LOL.....

I don't believe a lot of US planes were shot down during the Korean War.

I can't speak for Chicago but NY can eat a person alive in 6 months.
    It's not as glamorous as the media or tourists portray it. It's actually a harsh city.

If you can make here!, then you can make it anywhere!, it's up to you!....................NY!...........................NY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    lol

#25     Sep 1, 2011
  6. IMO, it's really the people that make the difference more than location.

#26     Sep 1, 2011
  7. LOL at the Park Avenue dump comment.

Nice house but not my taste.

Thought Hinsdale was a nice place. I guess it actually is a nice place. But I probably wouldn't want to live there.

#27     Sep 1, 2011
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Thirty four B-29 bombers were lost in the Korean War. I wasn't recommending NY as a place for traders to go live the good life. I was simply stating that NY and Chicago is where all the trading firms are. Last I checked, not a lot of trading firms in River City, Iowa.

#28     Sep 1, 2011
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

I think as lot of people on this forum simply don't understand the trading industry. It seems 98% of ET thinks the trading world revolves around the stock market or trading e-mini futures. The fact of the matter is, that probably makes up less then 2% of all trading. The prop firms bring a lot to the table. They do a lot of basis trading (cash vs futures). They do lots of stat correlation, arbitrage, HF spread trading, OTC, etc. It's not about the buying power or getting a bloomberg. LOL.

#29     Sep 1, 2011
  10. Bob and his wife tired of this place quickly too. "Downsized" quite a bit, moved back to Vegas to nice little single story house... still have it after 20+ years... very "non-pretentious"..... me too, btw.... nice little house in Green Valley....

I honestly think that people really just like where they either grew up or had their "best" years..... I love SoCal, but with the CA taxes, it just doesn't make sense... and we've always had a home of some sort here in Vegas (Junior High School here in 1962, LOL).....

All the best everyone,

Don

#30     Sep 1, 2011