The Perfect Trade

Discussion in 'Trading' started by guy2, Jun 2, 2006.

Have you ever bought the low and sold the high (of the day)?

1. Yes, I have done this more than once.

33 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. I have done this once.

11 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. I have never done this but expect to do it one day.

10 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. I have never done this and don't think that I will ever do it.

21 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. Other option not listed

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. greeks

greeks

More often than not, I bought at perfect high and sold at perfect low :(

#11     Jun 3, 2006
  2. I trade very actively in futures at this time

once in a while I top - tick as the buyer or seller

but my time frame is too short for me to hold on
    and see if the tick bought or sold was the top

as a matter of fact ... many times I do not get in or out at a good price ... and do not care as long
    as at the end of the day or week my P+L
    continues to be positive

:p

#12     Jun 3, 2006
  3. Perfect trade = Positive Expectancy

I'll refer you to The Logical Trader by Marc Fisher.

#13     Jun 3, 2006
  4. guy2

guy2

Very true. It begs another study and poll.

May I ask: How often do you end a day with more points in your pocket than the day's range? (As a percentage: 1 day in 5 would be 20%) If you assign a point value (or part of a point value) to each trade for commissions do you still end up with more points than in the range?

#14     Jun 4, 2006
  5. balda

balda

sometimes my stop loss buys the very top or sells the very bottom. This is not funny.

#15     Jun 4, 2006
  6. balda

balda

I am one of those that cannot understand, apparently.

even if you trade one contract per day the way you BLAH BLAH BLAH you would have been the richest person in the world.

Are you?

#16     Jun 4, 2006
  7. guy2

guy2

Grob109 - you about?

#17     Jun 6, 2006
  8. Wow...40% of voters have bought the low and sold the high on numerous occasions!!!

Must be alot of voters trading LU, NT, CMGI, and other pieces of sh*t that have a $.06 cent daily range. :D

#18     Jun 6, 2006
  9. If you trade all day everyday for years chances are its going to happen a handfull of times just by random chance but it works the other way to.

#19     Jun 6, 2006
  10. I'm not a trader by choice, but the market makes me get out of positions I had originally planed on holding for much longer periods of time than I actually did....I like to think of all positions as an investment and some are always longer than others....

To the best trade....right

I won't go back to far in my investing life, but the one that stands out the most has to be CHK---Chesapeake Energy Corp...

This was not a day trade, but it was a +120% return in 6 months on a stock that is now in the S&P 500.....Now that is very hard to do.....

May 16th 2005 I buy 5000 shares CHK@17.82 (The low for the day was 17.74)...It has never since gone lower than this price and had not seen a price this low since Feb 3rd 2005 @17.68....

Now that was buying the low...8 cents from the low of the day!!!

The exit was just as pretty......October 4th 2005....Nat Gas is going nuts after Katrina, but the spike is losing steam.... I exited @40.03 for all 5000 shares...17 cents from it's all time high of 40.20 set on that day.....CHK had one day in it's history over $40 and I sold on that day.....

Good trade....NO.....Great investment....I have had many better....But best Buy Low/Sell High situation I have ever had....Just thought I would share it with all you traders....

I post my journal @ Forums---Trading for a living---Journal---want to share

$COSTAverageMAN

• chk.jpg
      File size:
      46.4 KB
      Views:
    #20     Jun 7, 2006