The Perfect Option position

Discussion in 'Options' started by Maverick74, Nov 12, 2003.

1. What is a wrangle?

Tiki

#21     Nov 12, 2003
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

Side note here, it is not mathematically possible to have both long gamma and positive theta at the same time. Can't happen. They have a direct inverse relationship to each other. Also my position has no vega exposure at the beginning only after a big move.

#22     Nov 12, 2003
  3. a stock at 30 with IV 50 all the months.

Dec 30 call –10 at 2.00
    Jan 25 call +12 at 5.80
    Jan 35 call+12 at 1
    March 30 call –7 t 3.70
    Stock –395 at 30.

Thats what i had in mind looks like your strategy, at least it has the same characteristics i think.
    Do this wont work in real life, doing this trade in the longterm, your lose will be your commission costs, my opinion, where is the edge, you must be speculating on something happening/not happening in the future with volatility or stock movement.

now, maverick, what was your strategy, tell me?
    im curious.

#23     Nov 12, 2003
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

As the teacher use to say in school, LOOK IT UP!

LOL.

#24     Nov 12, 2003
  5. go long a volatility 80 month and short a volatily 140 month, and make that one theta neutral, you will see you end up with a shipload of gamma!!!!
    isnt that funny?

#25     Nov 12, 2003
  6. H2O

H2O

A long (short) wrangle is long (short) both a ratio call spread and a ratio put spread. For example, puts might be struck at 90 and 100 with calls struck at 100 and 110.

#26     Nov 12, 2003
  7. e.g.
    S 2 100
    L 1 105
    L 1 95 [butterfly-calls or puts]

+

L 110 call
    L 90 put

result: depending on prices paid (big IF) theta pos or neutral, eg. if it stays around 100 you make money.
    HUGE move you make money on the long call or put, covering loss on the butterfly
    short move in either direction loses money.

#27     Nov 12, 2003
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

No, there is a difference between gamma and vega. I know you think that when you see vol at 140 on the front month that its representing volatility but it does not behave in the same manner as vega. It behaves like neg gamma. It wastes away with each passing day. Vega does not do this. Gamma and theta are the opposite of each other. If you are long gamma you are short theta and if you are short gamma, then you are long theta. However being short premium is very similar to being short vega so I can see how people get confused by that.

#28     Nov 12, 2003
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Close, very close.

#29     Nov 12, 2003
  10. imagine the hypothetical optionprices
    where the november is trading at vol 100 and the december at vol 25.
    ok, you will never see it, it is exagerated to make something clear. (the nov would be even more expensive then the dec, with same strikes....of course impossible)
    but if you buy here then december at vol 25 and you sell november at vol 100, and making that all gamma neutral, you will have a big pos. theta.
    why? because the nov gamma is more expensive than the dec. gamma.
    only risk is here, that probably the dec vega will come down when december has passed. ( not with this extreme example, but when the front month is at 120 and the second at 100, i would guess that after the front month expiration, the second one will trade at 90, so you lose on your vega, which you also could see as a theta kind of thing coming off.)

#30     Nov 12, 2003