The Perfect Option position

Discussion in 'Options' started by Maverick74, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Err how do you benefit from a huge breakout? I'd say that when stock rams from 30 to 50, it has also rammed apart your ass (literally: your wallet.)

Or did you mistype somewhere and are you supposed to go long on one of the 3?

Tiki

#11     Nov 12, 2003
  2. sorry...
    the januari strangle of course long...
    little type mistake....
    very sharp...

#12     Nov 12, 2003
  3. this was a win-win trade:
    Cvtx
    Nov 22.5 call +3 2.30
    Nov 27.5 call +7 0.50
    Nov 20 put +7 0.80
    Dec 22.5 call –25 4.80
    Jan05 30 call +20 5.00
    +200 a 23.18
    this trade was done some 2 weeks ago, when volatility jumped into december, due to news to be expected in december, but not so much yet in later months, and neither in the november month.
    Very exciting.

it is the same idea, but the fun is here, that the dec was trading at volatility 140, the nov at 80 and the jan05 at 60.

now the stock is at 17, time to buy 400 deltas to close in profit traded, there was virtually no risk with this trade.
    But this is an opportunistic trade, on circumstances, it wont be possible to set up this kind of stuff everyday.

#13     Nov 12, 2003
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Yeah this one is really confusing. Looks like you are taking an astronomical amount of risk with all those naked options. Am I reading this correctly. Are you proposing to buy any options here? If not, how can you ever be long vega at any point. My position has long vega at a certain point and long gamma, not neg gamma.

#14     Nov 12, 2003
  5. the jan is long, i made a mistake typing...
    so dec atm short jan long otm march atm short.
    and make all that stuff delta/vega/gamma/theta neutral.

#15     Nov 12, 2003
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

Are you saying this position had positive theta? My position is theta neutral to theta positive at the beginning and during most of the front month. Unless the stock makes a big move in either direction and then it becomes theta negative and long premium.

Once again, not a bad position and I'm happy to hear it worked out, but if you graph your position and my position they look nothing alike.

#16     Nov 12, 2003
  7. off the top of my head, a wrangle appears to fit the description.
    cheers

#17     Nov 12, 2003
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Keep it coming guys, this is fun. Don't be afraid to post a stupid trade. There are no wrong answers here. All these trades are good in their own right. I bet we will discover a lot of cool interesting trades on our way to the one I am looking for.

Keep it up.

#18     Nov 12, 2003
  9. this positition was vega positve, theta positive and gamma positive.
    due to expensive gamma in december...
    though on thing to be mentioned, dec volatiliy will walk up (nov is estimated 80) so dec must be getting higher everyday.
    this trade would only become loosing trade up to november experiation with dec volatility going higher than 170, with jan05 still trading at vol. 60 more or less....
    that was the gamble...
    now dec is at 140 vol trading, and jan05 already at 70....
    so its working out...
    apart from that the trade was gamma long...
    there was also a big move in nov. from 24 to 16 ,where you could even scalp gamma (now to buy 400 deltas at 17/18)
    this trade is not your strategy, but another example of an interesting option-combo.

#19     Nov 12, 2003
  10. Maverick74

Maverick74

Wow! Someone is getting awfully warm here and new poster too I might add. It looks like a brought a newbie out of the corner and into the light. That's what I'm talking about.

#20     Nov 12, 2003