The people you meet in prison: Shkreli, Peter Madoff, etc.

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Pekelo, Mar 26, 2024.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

Fascinating write up about interesting and infamous characters in prison, like Shkreli, Madoff, Weiner, VJ:

https://frankreport.com/2023/01/23/...ner-madoffs-brother-silk-roads-variety-jones/

"Peter’s job was to wine, dine, schmooze, and distract the SEC people, ensuring they were happy while doing their audits. They would ask their gracious host, Peter, for anything they needed, materials, research, or figures.

Peter told a story of how SEC regulators once asked him for detailed research on a matter. He called down to one of the Madoff cousins on the 17th floor and said in the presence of the SEC regulators, “Yeah, I need this research on X, Y, and Z. I’ll be down in a little bit to pick it up. Just pull it out of the library.”

So Peter was upstairs getting the SEC guys coffee and bullshitting with them. He does this for 20-30 minutes. After that, he says, “You know, I wonder where that research is. Let me go downstairs and see where it is.”

He gets downstairs, and they’re in the middle of putting it together. They get the packet together, and Peter looks at it and says, “This is no fucking good. This is terrible. I can’t bring this upstairs. It looks too new, like we just made it.” Which they had.

So they took the packet and roughed it up to make it look aged, used, and worn. They put a little coffee on the edge and slid it up and down the table to try to wrinkle some pages.

Then they handed it back to him, and Peter said, “Okay, this is good. This will work.”

Peter brings the binder upstairs to the SEC guys and says, “Yeah, we found it. Sorry it took so long. Do you guys need anything else?”

The auditors responded, “No, we’ll take a look.” They looked at it for about ten or fifteen minutes, then handed it back to Peter, saying, “Great. Everything is where it should be.”

-------------------------

Variety Jones of Silk Road fame:

"He told me once, “You know, Rich, if we can find a way around this, I have more money than anybody you’ll probably ever meet in your life. I’m never going to see it. I’m probably going to prison for the rest of my life. But if you find a way to get me out here, I will take care of you.”"

Bitcoin was in the low 3 digits when he worked for DPR. Imagine him having let's say 1000 BTC hidden (quite possible since he got paid 1.6 million dollars from DPR for 2 years work) and its value keeps going up (currently close to 80 million) while you are spending a 20 year sentence and who knows if you ever come out alive, since your age is going to be close to 70.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024