The Pabst Doctrine

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Pa(b)st Prime, Sep 17, 2008.

1. You're right. I'm too often a hot head. I apologize.

I have a few (dozen) peeves as you know. One of them-and I blame the U.S. media-is the lack of global and historical perspective on issues. Take this past week. The entire friggin' world is 60-70% off the highs and the press treats the sub-prime crisis as some Blame Bush creation when in fact from Russia to China asset prices are imploding in lock step.

Libs luv to criticize the intelligence level of Americans-Obama's bitter comments say it all-but I find most folks are functional smart but just misinformed. It's not their fault. If I did nothing other than read Paul Krugman's take I'd be a foaming at the mouth idiot as well. Around 10% of life is black and white the rest is the in betweens. Those gray areas take hundreds of hours to dissect in proper form-examining the causes and effects of policies-yet the public discussion is usually summed up in one snappy 5 word headline. We live in a very unenlightened society. Instead of burning a flag we'd be best served burning the morning paper.

#31     Sep 20, 2008
  2. "If memory serves me"?? You worked on the guy's campaign. So, you're saying that Keyes was merely weaving a metaphor, and not actually supporting reparations in the form of federal tax exemptions? I find that a bit hard to believe. I also find it hard to believe that the author of the Pa(b)st Doctrine would work toward getting a pro-reparations candidate elected. Weird.

#32     Sep 20, 2008
  3. I was also running MY OWN CAMPAIGN for Congress so no not every 2004 day of Keyes was a day of Pabst participation.

How do you figure Keyes was "pro-reparations"? He was asked a question and gave some Keyes like answer indicating support-that's all. It was never a policy position. Me, I'd propose giving every African-American 100k if they'd leave Chicago and set up shop in Liberia.:p

#33     Sep 20, 2008
  4. Could this happen to do with the fact that the United States is the world's largest economy? Do you consider it even a remote possibility that the rest of the world would flourish while the US was in deep financial shit?

Bush (and Clinton) have been enablers of the forces which created the current crisis, as was John McCain, as evidenced by his support of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. Some 'maverick'.

#34     Sep 20, 2008
  5. By Christine Phillip
    updated 3:47 p.m. PT, Wed., Aug. 18, 2004

Alan Keyes, the Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate who once referred to reparations as “an insult to our slave ancestors,” is now calling for a plan that would exempt the descendants of slaves from income taxes for at least a generation.

Tax exemption would give Blacks "a competitive edge in the labor market," because they would be cheaper to hire than federal tax-paying employee" and allow Blacks to be compensated "for all those years when your labor was being exploited," said Keyes, who is challenging Illinois state Sen. Barack Obama for the U.S. Senate seat.

Keyes' different turn
    The ancestors of slaves would be precluded from paying federal taxes for a generation or two. The exemption would apply only to federal taxes, as opposed to state taxes, since slavery "was an egregious failure on the part of the federal establishment,” Keyes said. There would be no exemption from Social Security taxes, however.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5747800/

#35     Sep 20, 2008
  6. Judging by the results, maybe you shouldn't have spread yourself so thin.

I'm not getting an 'anti-reparations' vibe quite yet. Neither did the media at the time. In fact, Keyes followed up with this statement clarifying his position:

"The idea I have often put forward to address this challenge involves a traditionally Republican, conservative and market-oriented approach: removing the tax burden from the black community for a generation or two in order to encourage business ownership, create jobs and support the development of strong economic foundations for working families.
    This has the advantage of letting people help themselves, rather then (sic) pouring money into government bureaucracies that displace and discourage their own efforts. It takes no money from other citizens, while righting the historic imbalance that results from the truth that black slaves toiled for generations at a tax rate that was effectively 100 percent."

Sounds a lot like 'pro-reparations' to me. I would've thought that you'd come down a little harder on the guy, given the statements in your 'doctrine'.

#36     Sep 20, 2008
    #37     Sep 20, 2008
  8. Arnie

Arnie

Do dead people pay taxes?

#38     Sep 20, 2008
  9. You never head of the death tax?

#39     Sep 20, 2008
  10. What statements in my doctrine would lead you to believe I'm inherently opposed to giving a tax credit to the descendants of slaves? I'd rather give black folks a tax credit than give them welfare.

#40     Sep 20, 2008