The only "Holy Grail" is money management?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by crgarcia, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Mike21

Mike21

Not sure why you ended your sentence with a question mark. For daytrading money management is the key to success.

Every new trader thinks they're going to pick 70+% winners and the money will take care of itself. Then reality sets in.

As time goes by you realize 40% winners with a good risk reward ain't bad.

~Mike

#31     Aug 4, 2008
  2. Dtrader98, at the risk of sounding ignorant, what does LTCM mean? My first thought was LTCM=Lets Talk Cash Money...lol...

#32     Aug 4, 2008
  3. The quintessential example of money management necessity (outside of maybe niederhoffer).
    Long Term Capital Management was the pinnacle of quant hedge funds. Boasting noble laureates and a brilliant team of quantitative analysts on their roster, they would make highly leveraged and speculative bets based upon their superior number crunching (among other strategies, seeking low risk arbitrage based betting strategies) abilities. They became so large and leveraged that it became difficult to find liquidity in positions they needed to exit. For whatever reason, they had a large correlation of trades that turned against them, practically simultaneously; and without going into a long winded discussion of the details: they blew up.

So here you have the perfect anecdote (albeit rare) of the superior trader getting smoked by not adhering to money management (one could argue that they did, but that's debatable; at a certain point the leaders began taking overly arrogant risks).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-Term_Capital_Management

-------------------------------
    trading method = ying
    money mgmt = yang

One cannot prosper without the other.
    Therein lies your (legal) holy grail.

"In a negative expectation game, there is no money-management scheme that will make you a winner,"
    -Ralph Vince

#33     Aug 4, 2008
  4. Dtrader98 thanks for the explanation. And the Ying Yang I totally agree with 100%. As you said, that is your Holy Grail!!!

I nod my head to you as you gracefully ended that debate.

#34     Aug 4, 2008
  5. Johno

Johno

Hi Prophet,
    On the surface your proposition appears to make sense but one important issue is the probability of your trader lasting long enough to actually learn to stop rolling the dice and use good risk/ money management. Therefore I believe they generally result in dissimilar outcomes. To compare Trust deed money management and trading money management [experience] would simply be the equivalent of comparing apples and oranges [pun] and quite a fruitless excerise.

As at least one wise man said "there's simply no substitute for experience."

Good luck with your trading
    Johno

#35     Aug 5, 2008
  6. Money Management....well here is my Holy Grail and it uses no money management... :cool:

#36     Aug 5, 2008
  7. Surdo

Surdo

$94,645/Year is nice annual P&L ...

Don't give up the day job!

#37     Aug 5, 2008

8. What you see IS my day job...at least for the past 8 years. :D

#38     Aug 5, 2008
  9. I agree. Even if you play blackjack perfectly, the house pretty much still has the edge over time.

#39     Aug 5, 2008
  10. Losing Trades=0?

Getdafukoutahere...

#40     Sep 3, 2008