The One Thing That Changed Everything In Your Trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tradingjournals, Jul 30, 2010.

1. the1

the1

http://www.amazon.com/Trading-Zone-...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280542022&sr=1-1

#11     Jul 30, 2010
  2. I pretty much started out as an IBD fan (had to start somewhere) I loved t/a.

Then next up put the t/a on the back burner and focused on fundamentals, for this I needed help.

After about 2 years of that I couldn't present an arguement on how the fundamentals were not going to play out according to their score card. They were wrong and I ended up being right. Of course I never told anyone. It was just a feeling.

Now about this feeling. I spent time on the psychology of the market and this is where I found my home. This is not to say t/a and fundies don't play a part, they do, but now it's a cocktail.

Everyone is different, so while we may arrive with the same conclusions, we all use a different map.

I don't believe it's "one thing", more like a process of elimination.

#12     Jul 30, 2010
  3. The one thing that changed my trading is when I realized this: Markets can do only 2 things, they continue, or they change.

#13     Jul 30, 2010
  4. NoDoji

NoDoji

Understanding "price action" and how let it do the work for you.

#14     Jul 30, 2010
  5. Do I understand the implication of it correctly: go long the continuation, and get out if there is a change (and do not guess, etc). First leads to the profits, the second leads to costs.

#15     Jul 30, 2010
  6. There is no 'one' thing that will change your trading. It's a combination of things.

All of them together (in sync) is what takes you to the next level.

#16     Jul 30, 2010
  7. Redneck

Redneck

NM makes a good point

He labels it is a process…., I label it a journey – same difference….

I can guarantee I didn’t wake up one day and say – okay today I will think like this…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went through a lot of trial and error; read trading in the zone (four times)… even rewrote each chapter so I understood it.

Read numerous other books, attended a formal class, studied FA & TA, … Journaled – till I was blue in the face… Blew up a couple of times…, started over more than once… laid my charts bare and stared at them for weeks on end…yada…yada…yada…

btw I found the – cut winners short, let losers run – period of my trading quite enjoyable… HA

But through it all I continued – and one day it clicked…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I would like to amend my original explanation and say...

The one thing that changed my trading is perseverance… and I think all successful traders share it…

RN

#17     Jul 30, 2010
  8. one thing that changed everything in my trading is position sizing based on reasonable risk parameters. basically everything was working ok for me until i reached the point in my trading when overconfidence lead me to ignore my previous risk parameters. a couple of bad trades (well, more than a couple) quickly followed and seriously damaged my account.

now i again believe in setting up reasonable risk parameters. we shall see how it goes...

#18     Jul 30, 2010
  9. My experience has not been a "one thing that changed everything in my trading" on this day mm/dd/yyyy forward. Rather, the journey has been a gradual transformation from one discovery to another discovery.

I believe all knowledge is a gradual build-up. New knowledge that is based on old knowledge and then some. I am a math and astronomy fan. So let me provide an analogy to my trading skill development:

The ancient Greeks developed geometry and algebra
    Introducing the Arabic numbers and the concept of zero
    ... fast forward...
    Copernicus’s theory: Earth around the Sun instead of the other way around.
    Sir Issac Newton discovered the law of gravity and invented calculus.
    We discovered that the Earth revolves around the Sun, which revolve around in our Milky Way, which is only one of the many billions of galaxies rapidly expanding...
    Albert Einstein introduced that time and space are used together, relativity
    Stephen Hawking's theories on black holes
    Now the development of many theories such as the Superstring theories, parallel universies, dark matter, dark energies, the Big Bang theory and so on...

You see... with each new discovery, we seem to gain a higher level of knowledge but it is based on prior knowledge. We just understand the details a little more or understand the generality or special cases and boundary conditions.

In my view: Trading skills are like that too. You first thought you understood how the market moved. But started to observe some anomalies. Then you came to a higher level of understanding that accounted for the "anomalies". Then you developed better skills. The process iterates when you observe more anomalies with your higher level of understanding.

#19     Jul 30, 2010
  10. afto

afto

The day -or year - that I stopped fighting the market was the turning point for me.
    Really, the market is going where it wants to go. I'm sure there are those here that can predict it's direction but I'm not one of them. Sometimes the smartest thing is to just
    say, "I don't know".
    JMO

#20     Jul 30, 2010