The one thing I never understood...

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Corey, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Corey

Corey

Well, this post is from quite a while ago ... but so far, my results have shown that this concept seems to work well. I don't even bother trying to figure out the market condition though. I just find a lot of uncorrelated (both mathematically, and fundamentally) systems that work reasonably well (no stellar, shoot for the moon results) and run them all at once. Really helps smooth out the equity curve, and I don't have to worry about corner cases in each system...

#61     Jul 21, 2009
  2. zzt

zzt

your on the right track. Chasing regimes aint the way to do it

#62     Jul 21, 2009
  3. pneuma

pneuma

Add multiple markets and time frames and you will come up with many more.

pneuma

#63     Jul 21, 2009
  4. I agree. It's super hard to actually identify the different market conditions.

My list of market conditions is because it helps me build uncorrelated strategies that capitalize on different market conditions--and then run them all at the same time.

For example if you build a trend strategy, it will work well in the trends but either lose or have a flat equity curve when non trending.

So in order to get non-correlating strategies, it seems you need one that focuses on profiting in a different market condition.

Another way, I use to get more non correlating strategies is to use a different "fractal" or time frame.

Wayne

#64     Jul 22, 2009
  5. Okay. That makes sense. I do the multi time frame thing already so that does multiple it out some more. Thanks for clarifying!

I'm curious what software you use for that? I couldn't find any off-the-shelf that does multiple strategies on a single symbol easily (so wrote tz). Did you write it yourself?

Wayne

#65     Jul 22, 2009
  6. Corey

Corey

Off the cuff, you can normally identify diversity through:
    1) Asset Class
    2) Strategy
    3) Time frame
    4) Geography

For example, a short-term reversion to the mean strategy running on US futures would be non correlated with mid-term break-out of chinese equities would be non correlated with long-term trend following of the british pound...

#66     Jul 22, 2009
  7. very true.

#67     Jul 22, 2009
  8. luka46

luka46

Sorry for my question, I backtesting my hurst exponent and when I put in imput a cos(t) the output (hurst exponent) is 0 (zero) is right?
    can you help me?

ps: sorry for my english

#68     Sep 27, 2009
  9. ventus

ventus

this is one of the most useful posts i've seen on this forum. for all of you looking for that "holy grail", corey seems to have found it... trade multiple uncorrelated strategies on multiple markets with conservative money management. try it out and you'll see how quickly your account compounds with very little drawdown. so what if a couple of your strategies have no edge, as long as they are effectively uncorrelated to your profitable strategies they'll help minimize drawdowns and improve the combined results. by adding more strategies/markets to further minimize drawdowns, you can effectively crank up the leverage to yield some mouth-watering returns (subject to the usual capital constraints of course).

as another tip, i'll point out that you can intentionally add an unprofitable strategy to your system to improve the combined results. test everything.

#69     Jan 14, 2010