The Olympics Thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hcour, Aug 11, 2008.

1. ak15

ak15

He has already set a world record at this event in the 100 at 9.69 secs which will probably be bested only by himself and also setting a WR in the 200 at 19.30 secs.

The way he broke the 100M WR in itself was incredulous. He joked and clowned his way to the record peering over his shoulders at his rivals. If he was more intense he would have shaved a few seconds off that time.

Much more serious and intense in the 200M although you could see him flirting with the pretty chinese girl monitoring his block before settling down.

He also happens to be the first man to break the world record in both the 100 and 200 at the same olympics. Not since Carl Lewis in 1984 has any man doubled in the 100 and 200.

#21     Aug 24, 2008
  2. I know where he could get a 10-12 million dollar signing bonus right off the bat. Go long.

#22     Aug 24, 2008
  3. I don't think you are aware of fact that most chinese family cannot afford the money to train an olympian. By your reasoning, only the rich countries should get medals.

In US, many athletes use public funding indirectly through affliation to public schools/colleges.

#23     Aug 24, 2008
  4. Glad to have been alive to see it. Wish my parents had been alive to see it. Just an experience of a lifetime even if I wasn't there. And NBC did a great job of bringing it. Rife with singular memories and individual stories, too many to mention but if you watched it you know.

#24     Aug 24, 2008

5. NFL needs this guy, he is awesome. Congrats to the Chinese on the best Olympics ever. I kept waiting for them to bring out the little girl from the opening ceremony with crooked teeth during the closing ceremony. This would have been a classy touch to finish the games.

Rennick out:cool:

#25     Aug 25, 2008
  6. that bean pole would last a season before he gets clocked silly.

track stars don't do well in the nfl. once they put on beef and nfl gear, they become pedestrian. not to mention that change of direction is more important than straight-line speed. plus he has *zero* football experience. most nfl players have been playing for 6+ years before being drafted.

#26     Aug 25, 2008
  7. nitro

nitro

#27     Aug 25, 2008
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

I agree with BlackJack...Pretty boy Bolt would get pounded and have a target on his back just for being flashy...once pounded he would end up like Walsh's bet on "skeets" nehemiah which was a faliure....Skeets was the fastest human at the time i believe and was an olympic sensation as well or it may have been during the boycott...but nontheless he was a track phenom

#28     Aug 25, 2008
  9. nitro

nitro

On the other hand, Willie Gault, an olympic hurdler at short distances, was a definite threat on the superbowl '85 Bears. Only Darryl Green could cover Gault. The rest were left in the dust. Bolt makes Gault look like a high school sprinter!

EL, how many bones are we betting on Cubs vs Marlins this year? :D

nitro

#29     Aug 25, 2008
  10. Bootsie

Bootsie

There were commentators talking about Bolt breaking the 9.5s barrier... either at this olympics (if he went all out) or in the near future.

#30     Aug 25, 2008