The Olympics Thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hcour, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Sounds like someone is feeling a bit left out. How about giving the guy some credit? When was the last time you won anything beyond a free lunch, much less 11 medals, breaking every world record known to man?

Stop hating and enjoy the games.

#11     Aug 13, 2008
  2. is this what happens when you get old? 5's become 8's and 6's become 10's?

:eek:

#12     Aug 14, 2008
  3. Well, presumably someone must have been impressed by Bolts run. Holy cow.

I've mainly watched the womens vollyball, beach and team, I actually think the preponderance of hotpants in the team event is nearly on par with the beach version. Womens field hockey is also good-great thighs, although, its the sport that's important, of course.

#13     Aug 18, 2008
  4. For me, this is important-women's feild hockey, Aussies Vs (red devil) China.

Ok, I'm not fooling anyone here, those thighs are just something else.

#14     Aug 18, 2008
  5. Notice what a lame thread this is? Know why?

IT'S BECAUSE WE'RE AMERICANS!!!! If there isn't a ball involved, and you're not trying to throw it by or over someone, and you're not trying to get to a predetermined spot that counts as a marker, it''s not a sport.

Swimming? That's for when you drink too much beer and fall overboard. It gets you back in a boat. Running? For what? Where the hell are you going? First to third? Post pattern. Run and gun offense? Ok then. But staying in lines and running an oval? Waste of time. Walking a beam? That's a dare sport when you pub crawl, hoping your pal slips, and impales his crotch on the fence. Want to Americanize the beam? Shooters. I'd tune in for that. Little Chrissy Spunk at 90 pounds knocks down two wild turkeys, takes her top down, and then walks the beam. That's sport. And I set the alarm for that.

If you go to Olympics and watch Track and Field, I think the FBI should open a file on you.

#15     Aug 19, 2008
  6. I wasn't all that interested although I saw some of the opening ceremony. I happened by luck to tune in again just as Phelps outtouched that guy in the butterfly. That was cool, although it was heart breaking to see the same thing happen to the amazing Dana Torres. If I'm a movie producer, I'm calling her agent. Phelps should cut that Lezak guy in for some of his "gold" money. Owes the dude big time.

I loved the women's marathon. Classic no guts no glory run for the gold by that 38 year old rumanian woman.

Bolt totally eclipsed everyone in track and field. How depressing to be a young sprinter and know you have to compete against this guy. Interesting how the Jamacians are suddenly ruling the sprints now that the rich countries are under extreme doping scrutiny.

Worst spectacle so far was the US-China baseball game. Someone remind me why baseball is an Olympic sport anyway? Chinese female gymnasts look like genetic experiments gone wrong. Obviously they have to do away with the age restrictions, since they are clearly unenforceable.

#16     Aug 19, 2008

7. Baseball is an olympic sport, because of the power of the USOC.

Korea really kicked japans ass though, that was a good game.

You seem a tad cynical, and i dont blame you, i wasn't "into" these games originally, but it grew on me-largely, because i can watch sports i never normally see, and of course, watch the US actually get some silver medals occasionally:)

Baseball's poor cousin softball is being axed for london, yet BMX racing is in beijing.

I like european handball, a great sport IMO, cant watch it outside of the olympics.

But why do you think baseball shouldnt be there? I'm of the opinion, that if so few countries participate in a sport, well, how is it an international sport, how can there be level playing feied competition, is that what you mean?
    Dunno, but if i were suddenly voted IOC head honcho, i would;

Axe-
    taekwondo, a pathetic imitation of the original martial art. Just a lot of bouncing around, without much of any martial art, especially taekwondo being performed.

Synchronised swimming, they look like bats with those nose pegs, but-nobody, anywhere does it, it exists for olympic competition, and the forced smiles, and make-up-hey, who doesn't like hot legs, buuuuut........keep it in las vegas, or whatever.

Badminton? If more people played it, sure.
    India's first individual gold medal?
    10 metre air rifle.

!0 metre air rifle? What the heck?

Ping pong, (table tennis) i would like to think is here to stay-the gold medal final, was enthralling, the skill of those guys is remarkable.

Its no surprise, this sport took over china, a great sport ANYONE can play, at an elite level, instead of being a 6 foot plus athletic giant to even get through the starting gate.

Well, great games, i dont know how london will top this.

#17     Aug 24, 2008
  8. ak15

ak15

Usain Bolt. Amazing personality.

#18     Aug 24, 2008
  9. Bolt has a warm heart too. He donated 50K to the earthquake victims in Sichuan, China.

Bolt wins Chinese hearts, donates USD 50,000 for quake victims

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Story...dline=Bolt+donates+$+50,000+for+quake+victims

What about Michael Phelps? Probably
    he never thought about this.

Buffett made a lot money out of PetroChina( PTR). How much did Buffett donate to earthquake victims?! Not a dime.

#19     Aug 24, 2008
  10. nitro

nitro

Not to detract from what Phelps did, it was historic.

But to me the most eye popping result is the way Usain Bolt obliterated his peers, in a sport where winning and losing is often measured in fractions of a second.

That performance rivals Secretariat destroying the field by by 31!!! lengths in the Belmont Stakes in 1973, or Bobby Fischer scoring 14-0 in the US Open, or Bob Beamon's long jump in 1968. If Bolt was a horse, he would be Manowar.

This man, if he decides to set a world record in the 100 meters, the result would probably stand for twenty years. He maybe the first human to break a top speed of 30/MPH. He is not even that good out of the blocks!

nitro

#20     Aug 24, 2008