The Old Fart Thread

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by oldschool, Oct 6, 2007.

1. It will be ten years for me trading full tome in july 08. Old i dont feel it, me iam 37 and what made me start trading was my friends screaming it's "Show Time" as they went from rags to riches. I didn't get to trade with them at datek but did join them at tradescape. And very happy i did. One quick question, when do the pubic hair go grey? Thats when iam old.

#51     Oct 11, 2007
  2. You guys think you're old farts? I'm 57 (Oh lordy, I said that in public)... Been trading since, sheesh, forgot :)

Good trading to all...

#52     Oct 11, 2007
  3. young whippersnapper....

#53     Oct 11, 2007
  4. Shave 'em off. Problem solved.

Bonus: you feel like you're pre-pubescent again!

Consequence: stubble.

#54     Oct 11, 2007
  5. rwk

rwk

I turn 61 later this month, but my doc says I don't look it. My girlfriend is 10 years younger and doesn't look her age either.

I did my first trade in soybean meal in early 1970 shortly after I got out of the Air Force and started my junior year in college. If I could have a do-over, I would probably go work at an exchange in New York or Chicago. I could never do that now -- too many jerks, too much greed. I was a CTA in 1997/98, but I couldn't do the selling to get clients. Now I have no interest in managing other people's money.

I tried day trading, but the arcade environment was too stimulating (and too boring). I was a professional programmer, but I am entirely self-taught on PCs. Now I build automated trading systems (ATS), and spend most of my time reading, researching ideas, or goofing off. My primary ATS trades stocks and has been profitable since going live in August, 2003. My latest project is a high-frequency ATS for index futures.

I'm not getting rich at this, but it keeps me from having to do "honest" work. My goal is to be able to do this the rest of my life and not worry about blowing out my capital. Getting Social Security next year will help. Putting the girlfriend to work would help too, but she is resisting that.:D

[rwk]

#55     Oct 11, 2007
  6. nassau

nassau

my son is 34 so I guess I'm in and yes I still have my 8 track player and it still works just fine along with some Elvis, The Everly Brothers and few others. I pulled it out of my 1963 Chevy Impala 409 SS Convertible when I sold it. Been trading since mid 80's.
    Personally still miss the old cars.

w

#56     Oct 11, 2007
  7. Shoulda sold the 8-track player and kept that car!:D

#57     Oct 11, 2007
  8. Cheers to the old farts at ET! Rennick, nutmeg, Optioncoach, thanks for making this a better place.

:)

#58     Oct 11, 2007