The Old Fart Thread

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by oldschool, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Cutten

Cutten

35 is not old. Old is when you can't poop without assistance, when you struggle to walk up your staits, or when you eat through a straw. 75 is old.

#11     Oct 7, 2007
  2. Harry's Hanover was re-opened by his son last yr - not the same crowd it used to be :(

I wish they were open Sundays - now I have a taste for his steaks and a nice bourbon. :D

#12     Oct 7, 2007
  3. I got news for you....by your definition 75 may not be old either. Boone Pickens is 80, pooping without assistance, walking without assistance (in fact, working out every day), and eating normally. Oh, and by the way, making $1Billion+ a year trading oil.

But i do agree, 35 is not old. Nor is anything in the 40s. No one in this thread up to now is "old". I turned 62 late in June. I call myself "old" in my title, but actually, I always thought of "old" as several years older than what I am. That said, it's always possible that "old" may be different than "old fart".

OldTrader

#13     Oct 7, 2007
  4. cstfx

cstfx

Peter is not and never will be his father. Peter is a jerk, but that's for another story.

#14     Oct 7, 2007
  5. I'm only 32 but I feel old; trading years should have nothing to do with age but how many 6 or 7 figure years/subsequent blow-up cycles you've gone through lol.

I guess that makes Niederhoffer 102 in my book. :D

#15     Oct 7, 2007
  6. Nothing better than going to Harrys after a good or bad long day and getting some drinks and meatballs/chicken wings (i think) and talking about the day/week. Also sometimes having dinner and or even breakfast on the other side of the hall in the dining room.

#16     Oct 7, 2007
  7. Mvic

Mvic

38, 1st Trade British Telecom IPO Nov '84

#17     Oct 7, 2007
  8. Mvic

Mvic

Quite right. My father is 67 and has run 3 marathons this year (all under 4hrs30mins). He sold the company he founded 32 years ago, took two years off and is now starting another company primarily to provide employment for several hundred people (the legacy he is most proud of in his first company, that he provided a living for thousands of families for decades), mentoring college kids, and giving back in many other ways.

If he wasn't such a remarkable individual it would reflect poorly on me to say that he accomplishes more in 1 day than I do in 2 though I am half his age. Chronological age doesn't mean much. Health and attitude are far more relevant.

#18     Oct 7, 2007
  9. Surdo

Surdo

I worked on the NYSE floor for 3 years post crash and upstairs for 10 years.

I have been independant now 5 years and would never go back to working for a large firm.

I do miss the bloody bulls at The NYSE luncheon club and chicken pot pies on Thursday!

el surdo

#19     Oct 7, 2007
  10. Spear Leeds. I don't doubt you clerked for them, and I could never get the name right either.

#20     Oct 7, 2007