The Noob's Delusion

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Joe Doaks, Feb 17, 2009.

1. There are always people willing to share their trading ideas and experience. The problem with noobs is only that it's hard to recognize genuine advise from the BS doled everywhere by suckers and scammers.
    The delusion they suffer is about looking for easy money rather then developing skills over years.

#11     Feb 18, 2009
  2. dewton

dewton

trading and gambling are the same thing.

#12     Feb 18, 2009
  3. firscall

firscall

How?

#13     Feb 18, 2009
  4. Betting on an uncertain outcome. Of course, some people bet more wisely than others...

#14     Feb 18, 2009
  5. firscall

firscall

Most decisions in life, from business to child rearing, are based on uncertain outcomes.

#15     Feb 18, 2009
  6. Let's think about this for a moment. Noobies coming on ET to ask how to become a successful trader is just part of the ecosystem of trading. It's a game where many are called and few are chosen. Since everyone has free access to ET, why not ask those noob questions? Like one guy said, it's natural to ask someone to show you how it's done, because that's how it works in almost every other profession.

Actually, I think it's a blessing to those seasoned traders that new blood is always coming to the table.

#16     Feb 18, 2009
  7. Like someone on here said recently, I could post my trade setups on the front page of the WSJ and people wouldn't take them.

Even if someone told a noob a profitable system, chances are they would mess up its execution, because they haven't developed the discipline, determination and sheer balls it takes to trade todays markets.

#17     Feb 18, 2009
  8. the1

the1

This is the absolute truth. Learning to trade takes as long as earning a degree in law or medicine and it tends to be just as expensive but with a lot of patience and small sizes the tuition can be reduced somewhat. I estimate my education cost me about $50k. I blew out about 10 - 5k accounts trying to make it work and it took me about 4 years. You can't learn to trade at a seminar or by buying the indicators eSignal advertises on CNBC. You have to work your knuckles to the bone like you do trying to learn any other profession. You have to learn how to read price action much the same way you learn how to fly a plane. There's a certain feel to the market and you'll only get that by spending hours and hours in the cockpit.

#18     Feb 18, 2009
  9. And the ones who do well generally choose more wisely.

#19     Feb 18, 2009
  10. pneuma

pneuma

I suggest trading is like architecture - a blend of science and art, intuitive insight and technical skill.

pneuma

#20     Feb 18, 2009