The non-trading desk brokerage

Discussion in 'Forex Brokers' started by Me_Lefty, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Ok, I understand now. As long as you have a reliable platform/connection or telephone back-up yes, a mental stop where you monitor price yourself is better, why tempt them by showing them your cards?

#11     Feb 2, 2008
  2. sim03

sim03

You are saying that your screenshot of 2 far-off quotes wasn't a tradable arb... why not?

#12     Feb 2, 2008
  3. sim03

sim03

bump for cabletrader

#13     Feb 5, 2008

4. Sorry, only just saw your post.

Because Oanda wouldn't fill at that price.

They were a reasonable firm at one time but then once they got a place in the business and outside investment they've got worse than the worst.

#14     Feb 5, 2008
  5. PolarTim

PolarTim

Can you (or anyone) give an example of the slippage you experience? The bid/ask and how far off they generally fill you in slow (non-news) markets?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

#15     Feb 5, 2008
  6. Hi Tim

I don't trade with them any more but 3 or 4 pips slippage was nothing unusual, I've read on their forum that some traders are getting 27 and even 40 pips slippage but I think that's across news.

I think it depends on how much money you're making and your style of trading.

#16     Feb 6, 2008
  7. PolarTim

PolarTim

Thank you, that's good to know.

I'm still ambivalent about using these bucket shops, especially if they can adjust the quotes to a client based on their performance. I've seen slippage in futures but even the AUD and CAD futures were liquid enough for my time horizon.

Tim

#17     Feb 6, 2008
  8. Bongo972

Bongo972

Oanda gives you the price on their servers and not necessarily what you see in FXTrade.

#18     Feb 6, 2008
  9. Not all bucketshops are the same though, some firms such as CMC requote if price moves (sometimes in the trader's favor) which I think is a fairer system, if you don't like the price you simply don't accept it. Oanda operate a 'bounds' system where you can preset the maximum slippage you will accept but that seems like an open invitation to me! Then there are companies like GFT who lock you in a market order and fill you where and when they like which makes trading data like NFP fun :eek:

#19     Feb 7, 2008
  10. I noticed during the UK econ numbers released at 4:30 this am that there was a quick bump in the GBP/USD to 10 pips on Oanda.
    I did not try to trade it, it seemed, as usual, that the price move had already been made. I think, maybe, that some people may try to jump in without actually checking the spread first?

#20     Feb 7, 2008