The next level...

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by funky, Jan 30, 2004.

1. You're quick! I think it took me almost 3 years befoe I had the first truly profitable EOD system. Probably 2 before my intraday methodology worked on more than small portfolio of stocks. Well done!

#11     Feb 2, 2004
  2. c_verm

c_verm

Im curious why you say intraday breakout trading a poor aproach? This type of market condition is perfect for trading intraday breakouts!!

#12     Feb 3, 2004
  3. I wondered if someone would jump on that. B/o systems have poor win/loss ratios and depend on big winners to make money, but if you are trading intraday only you are usually exiting too early to let the trade play out. Also, you are vulnerable to stop running, which is a common occurrence in futures. A b/o strategy gives you a very poor entry in most cases. Instead of buying a pullback, for example, you are buying the extreme.

Certainly there are markets where this strategy will work, but it requires big stops and the discipline to hold winners.

#13     Feb 3, 2004
  4. #14     Feb 3, 2004
  5. funky

funky

bundle...thx, i don't know how to 'stimulate' your creativity. as you probably have found out by now, the best way is to just learn as you go. once you learn how to program in a couple languages, the rest are easy once you understand syntax.

good luck with your endeavors....

#15     Feb 11, 2004
  6. funky

funky

yeah, i can't believe (well mabye i can) how many people on this board complain about having trouble trading; not knowing why they are losing?!??! there are very easy ways to determine expectancy, and things don't change THAT quickly. my advice to most persons on this board: get a backtesting tool AND USE IT.

i think many people are actually afraid to backtest. why? because they fear that their 'plan' is a failure. they would rather accept fate, then to find out if they are on the right track or not. you might laugh at this, but i believe in this 100%. why else would you have all these people trying to figure out why they aren't profitable? to me, that's the easiest part about trading.

you might be right for a 'gifted' discretionary trader, but not for the other 99% of profitable traders. if you are a wannabe trader, then you must deal in odds. for high odds of making it in this business, develop a system. you aren't gonna make money by 'feeling' the market.

#16     Feb 11, 2004
  7. funky

funky

no.

#17     Feb 11, 2004
  8. funky

funky

i'm not sure i DID survive pittsburgh ;) yeah, what a fucking black hole that city is. if new jersey is the armpit of america, pittsburgh is the butthole of america.

anywhoo, i completely agree with you. for me, and i think for most people, developing a system and seeing how it works and changes over time and markets, really gives you a great take on other people (traders).

right now i'm trying to understand why different variants of my system work on certain markets. very perplexing, but i'm starting to see things that i would have never thought of before.

systems give us a compass. like you say, a person with a compass who doesn't know how to use it is worth no more than a person without a compass. but having that compass is surely a better idea for most new traders. with that compass, they can begin to ask the right questions.

#18     Feb 11, 2004
  9. funky

funky

ahhh Walther. yes, Walther.

#19     Feb 11, 2004
  10. rwk

rwk

I recently saw a demo of this system development tool and was impressed:
    http://www.tradeoptimizer.com/

I don't use canned development and testing tools, because I have a programming background and prefer to roll my own.

[Richard]

#20     Feb 11, 2004