The Next Great Depression

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Musashi, Dec 29, 2008.

How bad do you think it's gonna get?

1. Yes we are sliding into depression?

26 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. No, only a 2 year recession?

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. What recession?

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. No everything seems fine in Iceland

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. Musashi

Musashi

What is the opinion of ETers ?

2. Pretty sure we are entering a new depression but the thing is I am probably rich enough to ride it out so I don't really know if I should care or not.

3. S2007S

S2007S

Yes we are sliding into depression...

4. The results of this poll should present excellent fade opportunities to the sagacious trader

5. clacy

clacy

I see that stock_trad3r has voted.

6. Absolutely agree. ETers in aggregate are a great fade.

Based on poll results so far, the recession is ending soon - or already has, since it takes the Bureau a year to report the starts and conclusions of recessions.

7. Of course we're in a depression. All of the ET posters here are depressed and unemployed. Would you expect anything else out of this thread?

8. Fifty Herbert Hoovers

No modern American president would repeat the fiscal mistake of 1932, in which the federal government tried to balance its budget in the face of a severe recession. The Obama administration will put deficit concerns on hold while it fights the economic crisis.

But even as Washington tries to rescue the economy, the nation will be reeling from the actions of 50 Herbert Hoovers — state governors who are slashing spending in a time of recession, often at the expense both of their most vulnerable constituents and of the nation’s economic future.

-----------

No mention of bridges to nowhere? How about municipalities that are close to bankruptcy after paying city workers exorbitant salaries and pensions? Anybody run a balanced budget?

Do they actually teach economics at Princeton? Is everybody there a Keynesian who wants government to bail everything out?

It's kind of difficult to predict a depression given how rigged the data is from the Politburo.

9. Things will pick up in a year or two. I'm not stock_trader but I know that I'm also not ByLoSellHi.

10. Musashi

Musashi

More votes please

#10     Jan 2, 2009