The Next Bubble

Discussion in 'Economics' started by BlueHorseshoe, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Don't kid yourself, the Chinese gov is extremely paranoid about this right now. They have 24 million entering the workforce each year on a net basis, and need rapid growth to employ them. There have already been significant layoffs in the southern industrial region, and small protests there.

This is why they just announced a 1.5 trillion infrastructure program. They will do anything to keep everyone employed.

#11     Nov 25, 2008
  2. Corelio

Corelio

Cash and Bonds

#12     Nov 25, 2008
  3. You are watching too much CNBC, I hate that word now.....

#13     Nov 25, 2008
  4. I see a massive bust in retail

the entire retail infrastructure was based on pure imported goods financed with credit

No matter what, that level of overconsumption is gone

#14     Nov 25, 2008
  5. It will be interesting to see whether we reinflate, or swing to the opposite extreme and become a nation of savers. If Americans begin saving again, we might see a movement against free trade ... hmmm. I suspect we reinflate ... too many vested interests at stake, but that is not something I would bet on.

#15     Nov 25, 2008
  6. Mvic

Mvic

Its rather obvious, government debt bubble.

#16     Nov 25, 2008
  7. gnome

gnome

Couldn't that also be called a "bubble in fear"?

What does that say about everything else?

#17     Nov 25, 2008
  8. Mecro

Mecro

Sounds like they will soon have plenty of new "resources" to provide organs for the black market.

All China will do is create more "criminals" and they are good to go.

#18     Nov 25, 2008
  9. hausse

hausse

I'd actually bet on price inflation but not before uptrends in commodities have established themselves. Inflationary measures by governments and related bodies don't come unexpected. In democracies populist policies are common. Also, people in charge will act just to justify their positions and offices. They perhaps fear what the voters would think of them if they are there and just do nothing, letting events take their own and natural course. Won't happen. Bailout and stimulus packages are likely to continue in any form and size deemed necessary. But for trading purposes price inflation isn't there without uptrends.

#19     Nov 25, 2008
  10. Another article below re: my point about China. PRC only has two strategies to address growing unrest: 1. security crackdowns (but don't kid yourself - authorities are not omnipotent), and 2. Rapid economic development. The government risks massive scale rioting if growth were to stall a meaningful amount over a meaningful period.

In the article a Chinese guy is a local 'Hero' for stabbing 6 police officers to death in revenge. The public openly supports him by wearing his image on T-shirts and such:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/world/asia/27shanghai.html

#20     Nov 26, 2008