The New Soviet Union - Surprise, Surprise...

Discussion in 'Economics' started by SouthAmerica, Aug 5, 2008.

1. .
    August 7, 2008

SouthAmerica: Reply to arealpissedqoy

You said: “Russians, and anyone else will have much difficulty supplanting the US as a primary economic power.”

In many ways Europe has already supplanted the United States as an economic power.

You said: “Apart from Moscow, much of Russia is in the stone age, albeit with running water and some electricity.”

This it will give an opportunity to build an entire country and that country is full of natural resources and ready to do it.

You said: “The bureaucracy is corrupt, and at best inept.”

We have the same problem in Brazil and we still managed to turn around that country despite of it.

You said: “The commodity based economy is in the hands of a few well connected members of the mafioso.”

But the Mafioso also wants to prosper and make even more money. The Mafia built a money machine in Las Vegas and they have been prospering in the US since the 1920’s.

You said: “The average Russian is not very bright and drinks like a fish.”

And do you think the average American is that bright?

Every country has its well-educated population and its very dumb citizens that is almost a fact of life everywhere with very few exceptions such as the Germans, the Scandinavians and the Jews.

The Russians have enough educated and very bright people to run that country in a proper way and place it in the road to prosperity for everyone.

By the way if you had to live under the old Soviet system you probably would be drinking yourself to death as well.

You said: “Without high prices for its commodities, russia doesn't have much going for it.”

With enough educated people and the new technologies which are available today the Russians can turn that country around in no time if they decide to do it.

I know that Russia (Soviet Union) and Mainland China were communist and they have been trying to change their economic systems but there is a major difference between these countries and I suggest that you read the enclosed article to understand it.

Quoting from the article: “ …The dynamics of Asia's extraordinary growth cannot be understood without a thorough examination of the Overseas Chinese, the greatest entrepreneurs in the world.”

That in a nutshell gives you a summary of the major difference between the Russians and the Chinese.

“Here is Why Brazil Should Adopt the New Asian Currency”
    Written by Ricardo C. Amaral
    Friday, 02 March 2007
    http://www.brazzil.com/component/content/article/177-march-2007/9821.html

There is a reason why the China was able to achieve 70 years of economic development in just 15 years these guys are the best entrepreneurs in the world.

Today Russia has a lot to learn from China and they also can adopt the new Chinese model of economic development.

#11     Aug 7, 2008
  2. ssss

ssss

complete economic collapse about 20 years ago

It is not correct in all

through 1985-1989 through world bank evaluation
    GDP of USSR was approx 35-40% from USA in PPE

It was average life conditions in country ,where

60% of population have had owerweight
    (in USA ,U.K.,Germany -60-65%, France -11-15%)

Ground for USSR collaps was fight for power -

Alexander Diadoche after Dead of Alexander from Macedonia
    destructed he's Empire in fight for power.

#12     Aug 7, 2008
  3. Quote from southamerica:

a great prospect to develop financial markets ...

I would think the judicial system and poor investor rights protections would scare away a lot of capital or at least make it expensive. There is a decent amount of academic research showing there is a strong relationship between cost of capital and a country's legal system. Whatever the real risks are they have a bad reputation that will be hard to live down.

Say what you want about Cheney and friends but there is still a wide gap between the environment in Russia and the US on things like contract enforceability, due process, and the chance of having the government nationalize your assets. Even though the windfall profits tax talk is scaring me that we are going to take a step their way. But I don't think anyting like the Yukos scandal could happen here.

Today Russia and its population are not swamped with debt as the United States and the American people are ...

I see you post about this alot and I am wondering what you think the consequences of this are. Do you think we are paying a price for this now or are you just predicting that we will someday?

On the govt debt side, our creditors don't seem to mind charging 4% for 10 yrs for now. We make the govt backing of Freddie and Fannie explicit and the market barely blinks depsite committing to guarantee a huge amount of debt.

On the business and consumer credit side of course things don't look so great now but I haven't seen any credible arguments that this is not just another cycle like we have been through before.

#13     Aug 7, 2008
  4. .
    August 7, 2008

SouthAmerica: Reply to $$$$

You know what I mean. The Soviet Empire crumbed and they lost its status as one of the superpower.

The Soviet Union had a meltdown and today Russia is a much smaller country than the old Soviet Union.

#14     Aug 7, 2008
  5. ssss

ssss

August 7, 2008

SouthAmerica: Reply to $$$$

You know what I mean. The Soviet Empire crumbed

Yes correct ,but ground was fight for power,not economic conditions .After dissolution of USSR in 90 ,Russia
    loosed until 60% of GDP ,but that was later ...
    #####################################
    Exist
    multiple countries ,where population have
    lower amount to eat as in USSR (N.Koreja as example) ,but not
    crumbled

and they lost its status as one of the superpower.

Superpower,superstar,super-super - it is only verbal construction for mass propaganda

Which of "superpower" you can compare in influence with imperium of Thengiz-Khan ? Or Romian empire in time of August

The Soviet Union had a meltdown and today Russia is a much smaller country than the old Soviet Union.

Yes ,correct with marioneten goverment,full depend
    from USA foreign policy .That is most important
    #################################

#15     Aug 7, 2008
  6. Sometimes I think this thread is somekind of turing test and I am getting suckered in.

#16     Aug 7, 2008
  7. SA, your thinking is so warped its funny.

Comparing the US to Zimbabwe?

Once AGAIN, why the hell are you here? At least a dozen people have asked this question, and I have never seen you answer it.

Also, "Europe has passed the US economically in some areas"

yes, a combo of 27 countries vs ONE. The European Union has a good possibility of crumbling in 5 years anyhow. Don't believe me? Do a Google search on it. You will find numerous articles in the Economist alone on this. You can't have countries like Spain struggling with high interest rates cause Germany needs them high. Just doesn't work in the long run.

I also notice how you just ignore the fact that Russia is losing population faster than any major country in the world. This is not due to emigration. They are dying too fast due to alcoholism, AIDS, auto accidents (huge % numbers there), and murders (mostly gang related).

Have you ever been to any Russian cities outside of Moscow and St. Petersberg? Complete shitholes. Like most of those in Brazil by the way. I've been to several in both countries. Far worse than anything you'd see in western Europe or the US.

#17     Aug 7, 2008
  8. ssss

ssss

1. AIDS

? It is false
    ####################
    Rate of death from AIDS in Russia incomporable lower as from alkogolizm , Gang activities &

2. Difference in life standart between Moscow ,SPB and another Russia

...that is correct , in Moscow very different

But do you think that life in Nebraska ,IOWA & comparable
    to life in flat in Central Park West or Fifth Avenue
    for 25 mln $ ?

"... Quality of life in France incomporable to quality of life in USA "
    Rene Fleming ,USA Opern star ,today resident in Paris

France have 80 mln travelers each year with 60 mln population
    USA only 35-40 mln with 300 mln population

France have 11-15 % population with overweight,USA,U.K
    and Germany 60-65%

One businessman from USA on ET accepted that ,but stated "... USA is country ,where you can make business"

Would that make you lucky ? suspect not ...

It is religios doktrin ... plagiat of Lokk,Kant from Aristotel

Question of happyness would answered from ancient greek philosophy

Epikur as example , that is not related to the business ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicurus

For Epicurus, the purpose of philosophy was to attain the happy, tranquil life, characterized by aponia, the absence of pain and fear, and by living a self-sufficient life surrounded by friends. He taught that pleasure and pain are the measures of what is good and bad, that death is the end of the body and the soul and should therefore not be feared, that the gods do not reward or punish humans, that the universe is infinite and eternal, and that events in the world are ultimately based on the motions and interactions of atoms moving in empty space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzy4ezJZ53U

#18     Aug 7, 2008
  9. Maybe it's true.Could be like the politiians speeh enoch powell.

He warned the west to be on guard againt the blacks arriving from africa.

Maybe its the same with the russians.

#19     Aug 7, 2008
  10. #20     Aug 7, 2008