The New South America Union.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by SouthAmerica, May 24, 2008.

1. Remarg

Remarg

Always was and will be the country of the future ...

Brazil the land of zero Nobel Prize winners, Argentina five

#31     May 26, 2008
  2. They are just preparing for the collapse of the US dollar as the world's reserve currency. As it sits, they trade amongst themselves mostly in US dollars. Some even use US dollars as currency. That's a big problem going forward.

When the gulf nations release the pegs, its going to put that much more pressure on others to escape the collateral damage the dollar's demise will cause.

Its just a cycle, and they are smart to move sooner rather than later.

#32     May 26, 2008

3. Hugo Chavez no. Hugo Sanchez yes.

No, let me know what you hear - I'd be curious.

#33     May 26, 2008
  4. .

Remarg: Brazil the land of zero Nobel Prize winners, Argentina five.

May 26, 2008

SouthAmerica: The number one sport in the world is soccer.

Brazil has been on 7 world cup finals and it did managed to win 5 times.

Argentina needed the hand of God to be able to win one of its only 2 world cups.

And in another occasion the Peruvian goal keeper had to eat 6 goals (turned out he used to be an Argentinian citizen) for Argentina to be able to move to the semi finals and eliminate Brazil based on goal differential. Argentina ended up wining that world cup but the only team that had not any games was Brazil since Argentina had lost the opening game.

World Cup wins:

Brazil 5 vs. Argentina 2

And we probably are going to beat you guys in the qualifying game in the middle of June.

By the way, the best soccer player of all time it is Pele.

And Maradona is not even in the same league as Pele. I saw both players play most of their soccer careers.

In my opinion, Maradona has been an overrated soccer player for most of his career.

#34     May 26, 2008
  5. GTS

GTS

Wow, great comeback to the comment about zero nobel prize winners - yea world cup wins certainly is more important sign of a great culture (rolls eyes).

Maybe someday you'll learn how to use the handy "quote" function provided by this board instead of doing it by hand every time?

#35     May 26, 2008
  6. .
    Here is a list of Nobel Prize winners from Argentina:

Cesar Milstein Winner of the 1984 Nobel Prize in Medicine

Adolfo Perez Esquivel Winner of the 1980 Nobel Prize in Peace

Luis F. Leloir Winner of the 1970 Nobel Prize in Chemistry

Bernardo Alberto Houssay Winner of the 1947 Nobel Prize in Medicine

Carlos Saavedra Lamas Winner of the 1936 Nobel Prize in Peace

Brazilians never promoted its people for them to qualify to win Nobel prizes. Usually it is required a lot of lobbying by certain organizations and institutions as a support for someone to win one of these prizes.

I am sure that there were a number of people in Brazil who deserved to win a Nobel Prize in the last 100 years – at least a Nobel prize for literature, economics, and even a peace prize.

I never understood why Celso Furtado did not win the Economics Nobel Prize - just to mention one name.

Anyway, a few years ago I made a quick research and asked a bunch of people – I asked them when you think about the world peace what is the first name that comes to mind – the person that they associated with the word peace.

Every single person gave me the same answer – it was 100 percent response – the name that everybody associated with the word peace was: Mahatma Ghandi.

The person who represents peace more than anyone else – Mahatma Ghandi – never was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

#36     May 27, 2008
  7. Great argument, slight problem, Ghandi was not Brazilian. ROFL

NN

#37     May 27, 2008
  8. .

NakedNote: Great argument, slight problem, Ghandi was not Brazilian. ROFL

SouthAmerica: I was just trying to make a point about the number of people who were over qualified to receive some type of Nobel Prize and they were overlooked.

You can bet that if the Brazilian mindset were geared to promote and lobby on behalf of the Brazilian candidates - Brazil would have won a number of these prizes over the years.

We don't have in Brazil the promotion and the lobbying machine required to market our qualified people for them to win one of these Nobel prizes.

#38     May 27, 2008
  9. good morning south america,

I have read some of your postings here in ET and so far you have revealed a great deal about yourself.

your attitude is "go Brazil" whilst not appearing to care about the rest of sa and yet you chose "south america" as your username.

You do not want Brazil to be a part of the new union whilst remaining blissfully unaware of its 16K+ landborders touching some ten countries, the bulk of whom are spanish speaking.

you chose to answer questions with unrelated statements.

you never back down from an obviously incorrect or erroneous statement.

you show no signs of learning from your mistakes.

you constantly criticize the current leader of your adopted country and yet you exhibit precisely the same classic behavioural patterns.

regards
    f9

#39     May 27, 2008
  10. .

May 27, 2008

SouthAmerica: Reply to Fearless9

You said: “your attitude is "go Brazil" whilst not appearing to care about the rest of sa and yet you chose "south america" as your username.”

When I signed up on this forum the screen name Brazil was not available, then I did try a few others names until SouthAmerica went through.

Regarding South America we already have MercoSur to fulfill the commercial needs in that area.

You also said: “You do not want Brazil to be a part of the new union…”

You are right about that. Just because some countries borders with Brazil is not a justification to belong to this new union.

You guys are looking at the European Union as a model for your agenda. But Brazil by itself is already twice as big as the European Union. Only the Spanish countries of South America have the incentive to unite to create a big block of countries.

Brazil already has more territory and problems than Brazil will ever need – and Brazil does not need all the massive amount of economic, political and social problems that comes attached to this new union.

The SAU it sounds great on paper until anyone stop and start analyzing the pros and cons of such union from each individual country’s perspective.

Your mindset still is operating in the world of yesterday a world long gone. You still thinking in terms of the old concept of physical borders instead of adapting your thinking to the new reality of today’s world where distance it is just a minor factor.

Brazil already has 200 million people and a massive social problem – it is an almost impossible task to educate, create new jobs, and try to improve the standard of living for all these people.

Only idiots in Brazil would go along with the new SAU plan.

I can’t see the benefits from the Brazilian point of view.

Brazilians can’t fix the mess of the other South American countries (with the exceptions of Chile and Uruguay, but even then these are minor countries with small populations).

You said: “you never back down from an obviously incorrect or erroneous statement.”

I guess you are referring to what I said about Hugo Chavez.

I mentioned Hugo Chavez because today he is the Spanish person who is on the news all the time and he is the person holding the purse and can call the shots.

The other peasant from Bolivia – Evo Morales – also is in the news.

You are probably thinking that the leader of South America should be some left over guerrilla chief from Che Guevara’s time.

At the end of the day, Brazil does not need all these other countries that want to unite with Brazil, but it seems to me that you guys are desperate that Brazil be included on your new venture.

The future of Brazil is with the Bric’s and not with SAU.

The future of Brazil is linked with China, India, and the countries of the oil producing countries of the Middle East.

One concept that is foreign to you guys is that technology has changed everything around the world and also who are your main partners.

Let me put in plain English to clarify further my point: Is the future of Brazil linked with SAU and a bunch of uneducated peasants (I am talking about the massive amount of poor and uneducated population in South America and I know that there is a small group of wealthy and very educated people in these countries) or it is linked to the 2.5 billion people who are rising economically in China and India?

The linkage to China, India and the gulf country of the Middle East – that is going to create the economic activity in Brazil to lift the living standard for the Brazilian population.

The linkage to SAU it will bring only distraction, costs, and headaches to Brazil related to the left over crazy revolutionaries of an age long gone, the criminal gangs and the mafias that operate the illegal drug trade in many of these countries.

Why Brazil should unite with countries in South America that for most part are a bunch of basket cases?

#40     May 27, 2008