The New Math: Quantitative hedge funds are pressing into new realms of science

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by makloda, Apr 7, 2008.

1. That was funny. The behavioral hypothesis does say call the tops and get out. Another chicken coup.
    Tthe NY
    Central Bank almost couldn't hire anyone on the 29 bill collateral calls that are going to have to be made. I like the built in fudging for "buying time" to sell the collateral to get the loan back. Roll over anyone??

Any volcanos going to go off soon...earth quakes or foreign objects or satellites we can't shoot down? Sovereign wealth striking from a diffent time zone?? I am seeing branch offices of IB's and there are no quants in them.

#41     Apr 7, 2008
  2. I worked for a quant fund last year. They were killed, and I quit after I saw it was going no where. They had phenomenal performance in previous years, but it seemed like everyone did. LOL.

I think currently the firm has stopped trading completely and is trying new methods/just researching. 80% of their capital is locked in for another 5 years. I wonder if they are doing anything other than the carry trade for now. Dead in the water when that dries up.

#42     Apr 7, 2008
  3. “I think there is a law tying everything together,” says Fludzinski

Wow - string theory in the markets.

Maybe he is looking for someone to bankroll him until he finds it. :D

#43     Apr 7, 2008
  4. Mean reversion didn’t just stop working, it actually reversed.

#44     Apr 7, 2008
  5. rjv27

rjv27

I interviewed with them when they first split off of Paloma for a jr. trader positions. It was down to 2 of us and they didn't pick me:confused: But I did interview with Marek he was saying shit that I was like WTF. Telling me at the time that there system had over a 1MM lines of code. I'm sure they will be fine....

#45     Apr 7, 2008
  6. At the million line mark, you can't help but notice that code and implode rhyme.

#46     Apr 7, 2008
  7. "Our alternative variable overlay approach takes the 130/30 investment strategy one step further, allowing us to better adapt to constantly changing stock market conditions," said
    Marek Fludzinski, Thales founder and portfolio manager for the Leros Fund.

Exposing 160% of your assets to the market with 130% long plus 30% short hoping to outperform the benchmark by a couple of hundred basis points -- DOES ANYBODY HERE THINKS THIS IS A GOOD IDEA.

Of course it's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

#47     Apr 7, 2008
  8. You sound like you are building a Rube Goldberg machine...

#48     Apr 7, 2008
  9. Leave it to stock_trad3r to suggest just doing what worked in hindsight...

#49     Apr 7, 2008
  10. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

And that law is the Law of Stable Distributions – the only law that is practical enough to extract dollars from markets! All the other “laws” are simple derivatives of this universal law! The sooner one understands it the sooner he/she will become successful in the markets. :cool:

#50     Apr 8, 2008