The National Football League-that was the week that was

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AAAintheBeltway, Sep 12, 2007.

1. That QB's name was Jim McMahon. Perfect guy for a Mike Ditka-coached team. Tough little SOB with more attitude than talent, but he knew how to win.

#51     Sep 21, 2007
  2. Canes game plan: hit, stick, bust dick. and talk shit.

#52     Sep 21, 2007
  3. ElCubano

ElCubano

yes thank you....slipped my mind for a second....they were living large back then...

#53     Sep 21, 2007
  4. Let's look at the upcoming games this weekend. The marquee matchup will be Dallas at Chicago. Dallas has been impressive, the Bears less so. Dallas brings an TO-led offense that has shredded its first two opponents. They are facing probably the best defense in the league however, one that stopped LT cold in the first game of the season. Dallas' best chance is to grab an early lead and force the Bears to play catchup behind shaky QB Rex Grossman.

Several intriguing matchups will take place. SD visits GB and should provide a decent test of whether or not the Packers are for real. Which Sd team will show up? The one that handled the Bears or the one that was blown out by NE?

The NY Jets play host to the Miami Dolphins in what shapes up as pretty much a must win game for both teams. The Jets' offense hasn't shown much and could get the Dolphins defensive unit back on track. Lot of pressure on new Dolphins' coach Cam Cameron to get his offense clicking.

SF visit heavily favored Pittsburgh in what could be a statement game by the upstart 49er squad. Or it could be a routine home win for the boys in black and gold. 49ers lost standout young LB Manny Lawson to a knee injury, so that puts even more pressure on Alex Smith, Frank Gore and the SF offense to control the clock and put up some points.

The big game of the weekend of course will take place once again in the leage's premier division, the NFC East, where the Washington Redskins face the NY football Giants. Can't you old guys just hear Howard Coselle, the verbose one, say the words "New York football Giants?" Anyway, the Giants are 0-2, and have some injury issues after losing RB Brandon Jacobs and with R Plaxico Burress hurting. The Skins have lost the left side of their offensive line. They got by last week with former tackle Jason Fabini filling in at right guard, but they can't afford any more O line injuries. This one should turn out to be a typical NFC East slugfest, with both teams trying to establish the ground game. Keep an eye on #21 for the Redskins, volatile free safety Sean Taylor of "The U" who will be looking to apply the smackdown to Giants tight end and former Cane Jeremy Schockey. Could be a long day for the Giants and embattled coach Tom Coughlin, but the Redskins have had a tendency to play to their opponent's level and could be looking past this one.

#54     Sep 21, 2007
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

put the nail on the coffin would ya please....although we put up a great fight and ronnie brown had a career day we still could not get a win under our belts...we are done..I am over and out...check back when NBA starts... :mad:

#55     Sep 24, 2007
  6. Maybe Cam Cameron will draft Desean Jackson so he can have two underproducing slot receivers..

I thought Joey Porter was supposed to solidify MIA as the best front 7 in football.. I guess that secondary is that bad. Zach Thomas' absence was huuuuuge.

#56     Sep 24, 2007
  7. ElCubano

ElCubano

porter was a bad move....20 million for an over the hiller and passing a young QB for green ( who we cant build anything on cause of his age)....lets see SD has used their picks to pick up LT, Drew brees, phlip rivers and who else?? we've used the same amount of picks for ronnie brown and thats it....its not our team that kills us it our management...peace

#57     Sep 24, 2007
  8. completely agree.

Randy Mueller is a douchbag.

AJ Feeley for a 2nd round draft pick!?!?!

#58     Sep 24, 2007
  9. I think this is true of most teams. There is a lot of luck involved, but some teams like the Pats and Iggles manage to put together playoff teams year after year without breaking the bank in free agency. Of course it helps if you can draft a Hall Of Fame franchise QB in the sixth round like the Pats did.

I still maintain that Miami is not a bad ball club. They really should have won on the road week one against the Redskins but had bad luck. Judging from last night, Dallas is the cream of the NFC, so no disgrace there. Yesterday, another tough loss.

I think the criticism of their drafting and free agency moves is legit, but I do give them credit for having a plan. You can see the logic with Porter, although I question blowing a lot of cap space on a LB. They had a top defense and no doubt thought adding him would make it dominant, which could have been a big help considering how weak their offense is. Maybe they should have concentrated instead on getting offensive linemen, but the free agency market for them was insane. Journeymen guards were getting huge deals.

#59     Sep 24, 2007
  10. A painful Monday morning in the Nations' capital. The Redskins turned in a great performance against the Giants, putting two TD's on the board and holding the high scoring Giant's offense to a single FG. Unfortunately, the teams had to play a second half, which was all NY. The formerly suspect Giants' D totally stoned the Skins, holding them to a series of three and outs, as the NY offense methodically churned out points every possession. On their last possession, trailing 24-17 at that point, the skins put together a desperation drive that got them to the Giants 2 yard line with less than a minute to play and no timeouts. They failed to score and the game was over, leaving 92,000 stunned fans to silently file out of FedEx and ponder what had happened.

There was plenty of blame to throw around. CB Carlos Rogers whiffed on Plaxico Burress, who ran right by him for the winning TD. RB Clinton Portis ended one crucial second half possession by muffing an easy pass in the flat, then fumbled a handoff to hand NY great field position on the next possession. QB Jason Campbell made some great throws on the last drive, but couldn't get his team into the end zone from the 2. He is clearly still a work in progress and has a lot to learn about playing the most important offensive position. The coaches need to accpet blame as well. the beleaguered NY staff clearly outcoached the highly paid Skins coaches. Bottom line for this game is if you can't score from the 2 with the game on the line, you don't deserve to win.

#60     Sep 24, 2007