The National Football League-that was the week that was

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AAAintheBeltway, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Lot of interesting games today. I was surprised to see GB blow out the Giants after not looking very good in the first half. I guess the Pats really are as good on the field as they looked on paper. Niners-Rams must have been a good game, but I didn't get it. I felt bad for the Raiders after they kicked the winning FG in OT only to gave it taken away because that little weasel Shanahan had called a time out from the sideline.

Still, the big news was the Browns hanging 51 on the Bengals.

#21     Sep 16, 2007
  2. I was watching the OAK game and that sucked for OAK. Both kicks were good, but that 2nd one was just a little too close to the upright. Janikowski was booming kickoffs though. Granted it was in Denver, but that guy can kick!

Green Bay sure looks good so far this year, big surprise in my opinion.

There's been some interesting games this year and it's only the 2nd week! I'm shocked about New Orleans... were they a one year wonder? What happened there? :confused:

#22     Sep 16, 2007
  3. ElCubano

ElCubano

what a fantastic weekend of football...the cincy/clev game was a scoring assault and jamal put me over the hump to win my second FFL game ( 2-0) ..like they say any given sunday...I dont even know where to begin with my phins no rushing and 4 interceptions are they freaken kidding me...i dont see the light at the end of the tunnel either...this is not good.

#23     Sep 17, 2007
  4. How does Quinn look now?

:p

#24     Sep 17, 2007
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

compared to Green; like Dan Marino.....:eek:

that anderson guy had one hell of a game......

#25     Sep 17, 2007
  6. How did Green throw four picks? Was he pressing, was he getting rushed, did the receivers let him down? Against the Redskins, he really didn't try for much downfield. The Cowboys game was close until the fourth quarter. Green put up good numbers except for the picks. Green has never been the type of QB who will dominate a game with a cannon arm. He is a smart guy who can manage a good offense. I think he is a QB who really does need a good run game to create opportunities in the passing game.

Dolphins have started against two pretty stout defenses. They are not a bad team and will get their share of wins if they stick with it.

#26     Sep 17, 2007
  7. One game I overlooked was the Cardinals surprising victory against the Seahawks. That has to be a satisfying win for a squad that hasn't had a lot to feel good about for years.

By contrast, the Rams have to be disappointed they lost at home to the Niners. The Niners are not jokes anymore, but the Rams missed a number of tackles on Gores' long TD run. He made them look like a high school team.

I found it surprising that the Jets were able to make it close against the Ravens. The Ravens totally dominated the game but could have lost. The difference could have been the Jet's decision to go for a 51 yard field goal with 2 1/2 minutes left in the first half. They missed and the Ravens took the great field position and converted it into a TD. The announcers thought it was a good decision to go for the FG, but I didn't. My theory, which I elaborated on here a couple of weeks ago, is that you don't go for a FG unless you have a 70+% chance of making it. My guess is that their kicker is more like 45% from 50+ yards out. The announcers made the point that you don;t get many chances against teh Ravens D, so youhave to go for it. The counter argument is their offense is not very good and likely would not march 80 yards in two minutes.

I was surprised the Pats were able to dominate the Bolts as effectively as they did. I know they beat them in the playoffs last year in SD, and basically cost Schottenheimer his job, but last night had the look of a statement game by the Pats. If the Chargers can't stick with them, I don't see anyone else in the AFC being able to. Maybe the Colts can get them in a shootout somehow and outscore them, but the Pats look dominate on both sides of the ball.

#27     Sep 17, 2007
  8. Look for a typical NFC East slugfest tonight in Philly. The last time these teams met in Philly, Clinton Portis' mom got in a fistfight with a Philly fan. No love lost here.

The Redskins will be looking to run the ball at least 40 times and hope their veteran offensive line can dominate. The Eagles will be blitzing young QB Jason Campbell from the National Anthem on. They will try to mix in a variety of short passes and screens to Westbrook with as many long bombs as they can. The Redskins were the worst team in the league defending long passes last year, but their defense seems to be much upgraded. With the Cowboys already 2-0 and the Giants 0-2, neither team will feel like it can afford a loss, so the stakes are unusually high for a week 2 game.

#28     Sep 17, 2007
  9. ElCubano

ElCubano

they ran the same freaken route for chambers several times ( carbon copy) .. hell i dont need spygate to tell me there is a good chance they might be running it again, hence the picks ..or did they have some cat in the press box reading our signs ;o) ..and they also abandoned the running game in the second half.

I hear ya TripleA, but they really dont have a running game and not to many targets to throw to that can get open with the lack of running game....

#29     Sep 17, 2007
  10. Even though I can't stand Pro football because it's predictable and boring. I yet sometimes on occasion have to watch crap. The NFL is crap.

So to keep my mind busy much like Suduko or Magnum P.I. ...I'm seduced into watching the NFL. UGH…Big mistake!

Jason Campbell has sucked since before he was at Auburn. And he always will.

#30     Sep 17, 2007