The National Football League: 2009 edition

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AAAintheBeltway, Sep 7, 2009.

1. I hate to say it bro because I'm becoming a farve hater... but Brady Koser has never been accurate. The guy hasn't hit a 7 pattern since he was Soph for the Catholics.

#21     Sep 14, 2009
  2. Maybe true. I'm not looking to buy a yacht with the proceeds from my football picks. I enjoy the hell out of my weekends when I have a cigar, my favorite ale (which seems to change every week or so) and a little skin in the game. I usually only bet 4 or 5 games and should have done the same this week. The start of the season gets me every time.

#22     Sep 14, 2009
  3. I agree. There's a reason he fell to #22 in the draft when teams that NEEDED QB's said no thanks.

Of course the homers out here, esp the women, are in love w/ him. Me, I'd rather have DA back there with an Edwards that can catch the f'in ball.

W/o a #1 WR that can catch though, doesn't matter if Montana in his prime is back there. Montana would be nothing w/o Rice and whatever QB is playing in Cleveland has nothing w/o an Edwards that can catch.

Cribbs is a beast though - the real deal. The kid wants a new deal and mgmt still hasn't given it to him. Just unreal.

#23     Sep 14, 2009
  4. Also - if you get a chance to Peterson live, DO IT. You see so much that you just don't see on the TV -- he's so quick around those corners and strong. Rare to see such speed and strength all in one.

#24     Sep 14, 2009
  5. I have. I saw him as a Senior in high school at Palestine Texas. He was a man among boys. Saw him again the next year when he was a Freshman at Oklahoma in the 2005 Orange Bowl. Not quite the same kind of performance. But that was when USC crushed OU 55-19. AD barely a factor at all that day.

But I know he's a super special talent. I'd love see him again these days.

#25     Sep 14, 2009
  6. I was sitting behind one of the end zones and when Minn had the ball going away from us, you could see all the moves going on to get AP the ball and then his burst of speed when he found a whole. One play in particular he came around the edge and it looked like we would make a routine tackle and then boom, he was off and gone.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d812925f8/WK-1-Adrian-Peterson-highlights

Good stuff - that last run was awesome.

#26     Sep 14, 2009
  7. Wow, what an exciting week and we still have two Monday night games to go.

I think the theme for yesterday could be winning on the road, something that is very hard to do in the NFL. For me, the most impressive performance was the Eagles four TD shellacking of Carolina in Carolina. Donovan McNabb took a vicious hit at the goaline on a scramble however and sustained broken ribs. How smart does that Michael Vick signing look now?

I give the 49ers a lot of credit for going into arizona and handing the Super Bowl runnerups a stinging defeat, capped off by an 80 yard TD drive late in the fourth quarter. I admit to being skeptical when they hired Mike Singletary as their head coach. He seemed awfully old school in a league obsessed with the hottest gurus and kid coaches. Turns out the guy who anchored the greatest defense in the history of the NFL knows a little something about winning football games. His players are buying into his philosophy of toughness, accountability and respect.

How great is it this morning to be a fan of the J-E-T-S? They went into Texas and got an impressive win and they did it behind their rookie QB Mark Sanchez. Is it too early to say out loud what everybody is noticing, namely that this kid has that Montana/Brady aura about him? He just seems to have an incredible feel for what is happening around him.

Shoutouts to Dallas, Minnesota and Denver for road wins as well.

The two teams that hate the aforementioned Iggles the most, the Redskins and Giants, squared off for one of their signature street fights yesterday in the Meadowlands, reputed final resting place of one James Hoffa. That strange noise you heard with under two minutes to go in the game was the sound of tens of thousands of beer bottles being hurled into faux brick walls in hundreds of pizza parlors, bars, strip clubs and basement man caves across northern New Jersey. After thoroughly outclassing the Redskins in every phase of the game (except for defending fake FG attempts), the Giants held a 13 point lead. They went into the dreaded prevent defense and allowed the Skins to march down the field and score a meaningless TD, meaningless that is unless you were giving the 6 1/2. Ouch. coach coughlin, maybe look into getting one of those remote starters for your car. Just saying...

Now, let's take a look at my picks. What can I say, 5-0 baby. Shweeeet!!!! Ok, I got lucky in a couple(OK, three) games. Did I think NO would win a shootout against the Lions? Of course. Did I think they would let the Lions put up 28 on them. Uhh, no. Luckily, Drew Brees had a career day and the Saints scored 45.

Same deal with the Ravens. Did I like them at home against KC? You betcha. Did I think they would cover if KC somehow put up 24? No, but somehow they did.

Dallas had too much on both sides of the ball for TB and covered convincingly. Ditto Minnesota, as described above by Brownsfan.

Let's hope one good thing comes out of the GB-Chicago meeting last night. Would fans for both teams please STFU now? I have heard all preseason how great the GB offense is. I've seen better blocking in the express lane at Safeway. I've heard how Jay Cutler is the final link for chicago. Get back to me when you've got a defensive backfield, some receivers and a couple of linemen. The game itself had the sort of random quality you see in a peewee league game. Somehow GB won and covered.

#27     Sep 14, 2009
  8. Is there any online betting that you can trust? Is it even legal?
    I used to have a book 15 years ago for college hoops but those days are over.

#28     Sep 14, 2009
  9. I don't know, but it seems to me online betting misses the point. If managed properly, a fan's relationship with his bookie can be useful. Unless you're a criminal defense attorney, how many other chances do you get to hang with members of organized crime? What is better than showing up at one of the roadhouses north of Boston or a Jersey diner to grab breakfast, see the book and hopefully leave with a thick wad in your pocket? A good bookie can do you favors if you're a steady customer. Tickets to games, good deals on used merchandise, maybe intros to strippers, etc.

Just don't be an idiot and get into them for money you don't have, don't have all your action with one bookie and never ever borrow money from them.

#29     Sep 14, 2009
  10. Ahhh...the sweat beauty of being a Nevada resident.

:D

#30     Sep 14, 2009