The myth that Obama saved us from the great depression

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Max E., Apr 29, 2012.

1. achilles28

achilles28

The beard and sports jacket. Official uniform of economists everywhere.

#31     Apr 30, 2012
  2. jem

jem

fair enough. I still thought you post was excellent.

#32     Apr 30, 2012
  3. achilles28

achilles28

Thank you. And you make good points. There's a moderating effect to all this QE and stimulus, in terms of commodity inflation (energy/food/clothing), which is somewhat offset itself, by the "wealth effect" (appreciating portfolio values) etc. It's definitely not a wash (10% of deficit = 10% of GDP growth). Maybe 10% deficit only equals 7.5% GDP. But that 7.5% GDP, of "borrowed growth", if you follow, does have a ripple effect, as money is spent and changes hands throughout the economy (the baker analogy). It's not an exact science, but the numbers being thrown around (13% = deficit + QE) plus the ripple effect (~1.7%), are absolutely huge. I use those numbers because they're a matter of fact, and if one performs the simple deductions, it's easy to see how we're deeply in the hole, right now, and burning the furniture. A currency collapse is always more severe than a depression, and that's exactly what's on the table next.

#33     Apr 30, 2012
  4. Brass

Brass

I think it's really cool how you're smarter than everybody else have it all figured out. That's certainly more than I can say. I trust you've positioned and leveraged yourself accordingly.

#34     Apr 30, 2012
  5. I'm doing okay thanks for your concern :D

#35     Apr 30, 2012
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

:D

Really?

You just described yourself.

#36     Apr 30, 2012
  7. Max E.

Max E.

Both brASS and RCG seem to completely lack any self awareness.....

You know who else almost always lacks and kind of self awareness? Psychopaths and serial killers, it's true google it. :D

#37     Apr 30, 2012
  8. achilles28

achilles28

It's not that complicated. It's actually quite simple if you know some basic economics, which makes it evident, you don't. But don't listen to me. Listen to the people who got it right over the years, not wrong. The prescient forecast a dollar collapse in 5 years, unless the current rate of spending isn't dramatically cut. Greenspan, Bernacke, Krugman, these are the losers who didn't see the housing crash coming after it had turned south.

#38     Apr 30, 2012
  9. I think we're getting pretty close to another one of the "off the rail" expletive filled tirades from Grabass.

#39     Apr 30, 2012
  10. achilles28

achilles28

ahah

#40     Apr 30, 2012