The myth of letting your winners run

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Flowfollower, Jun 2, 2020.

How do you do it?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2020.
  1. Outlier hunting

20.7%
  2. Profit target

44.8%
  3. A combination of both eg trim and trail

34.5%
  1. You right Tradex,

You right man. back test is much better and faster, but I have to do it manually. Take time too.

From experience, I learn alot with manual back testing. But it is hard work.

#31     Jun 2, 2020
    Tradex likes this.
  2. volpri

volpri

My trading account likes averaging down, Just took and exited this averaged down LONG trade in ES. Good for over 650.00. Quick bucks. Grab them profits. Trip to Dillards?

ES averaged.JPG

#32     Jun 2, 2020
    yc47ib likes this.
  3. Tradex

Tradex

Well, good for you, it worked this time.

But if you keep adding to losers one day you will empty your trading account, unless you have some reasonable stop loss mechanism in place.

Personally I only add to winning positions. And then I let the market go wherever it wants, until I see some evidence that the trend is over. Putting an artificial limit to profits does not pay in the long run.

#33     Jun 2, 2020
    Ruffy3100, Smart Money and birdman like this.
  4. volpri

volpri

See Eastwood a fistful of dollars in say 25 to 30 minutes (as was a 5 min charts) and the mule is happy too. The losers were the cowboys that tried to hold short. They should have jumped out as I was pulling my pistol and jumping in!

#34     Jun 2, 2020
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

You going there to buy or to loot ?

wrbtrader

#35     Jun 2, 2020
    taowave and Tradex like this.
  6. volpri

volpri

Doc Holiday is too fast for the cowboys. I'll be their "huckleberry". SL's ? Remember ...The gambler "you got to know when to hold'em and know when to fold'em know when to walk away and know when to run you never count your money when you're sittin' at the table there be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done"

#36     Jun 2, 2020
  7. volpri

volpri

LOL

#37     Jun 2, 2020
  8. Tradex

Tradex

One day you will average down a flash crash and game over. Be careful and happy trading.

#38     Jun 2, 2020
    comagnum likes this.
  9. volpri

volpri

Another cowboy bit the dust. Long scalp. BYE for now. Ya'll come back. Got to run to the feed store and buy some seed for the garden. Wife wants to go. Will be cheaper than Dillards. Grab them profits! A bird in the hand worth 20 in the bush. LOL
    ES long scalp.jpg

#39     Jun 2, 2020
    yc47ib and Tradex like this.
  10. savoir

savoir

Largest position size and longest trade duration when on the wrong side, smallest size and shortest duration when on the right side. Not too swift.

#40     Jun 2, 2020