The Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hcour, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Another good one is 'chopper',starring Eric Bana.One of those tremendous grass roots films that most countries can produce (Australia in this case) if left to their own devices.Bana should have got an oscar for it.

#31     Mar 4, 2006
  2. hcour

hcour Guest

Brutal movie. Bana is completely unrecognizable from his later roles. A great performance.

H

#32     Mar 4, 2006
  3. hcour

hcour Guest

STAY

It's just about impossible to write about the story of this amazing film w/o spoilers. So I'll just say that I think it's a brilliant, very underrated movie that is quite unlike anything I've ever seen. It's the most unusual mystery you'll every see. There are hints throughout about what is actually going on and requires one to pay close attention. The transition shots from one scene to another are witty and unique and also clue us as to the solution to the mystery. As the story evolves and the characters become more and more unraveled and confused about what is happening to them, we become that much more enlightened about their plights. The ending is very moving and (I thought) satisfying, and makes you think about everything that preceded it as you try to put it all together. It's the ultimate "head movie", operating on both a literal and an even deeper, subconscious, dream-like level. A masterpiece of modern filmmaking and film technique.

CHRONICLES OF NARNIA - THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE

The first hour or so of this flick is the the best adaptation of a fantasy novel I can think of, much better than the overrated, disjointed "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. The story is told very simply and clearly, Narnia is beautiful and believable, and the creatures such as the Faun and the Beavers and the White Witch are absolutely wonderful (and well-acted) and seem to be real flesh and blood characters. The scene at a frozen waterfall that is thawing and endangering the heroes is thrilling. This is a great children's movie. The second-half falters a bit as it becomes more standard stuff w/the battles and various other characters that aren't as well-developed. Aslan, the hero, is boring and does not possess the human qualities that make the other characters so appealing. The books are, of course, Christian allegories, but the movie manages to get through the symbolism w/a minimum of fuss, except for one awkward line, after the battle, when Aslan says "It is finished." An obvious sop to the Christian audience, it cheapens the moment and the film.

H

#33     May 10, 2006
  4. fahrenheit 451 In the age of spin,this is a nice little reminder
    Manon Des Sources
    Jean De Florette
    Danton (Anything sensible with Gerard Depardieu in it really).
    Heartbreakers (Anything with Jennifer Love Hewitt in it).

#34     May 10, 2006
  5. Noriega-God's Favourite Really good film starring Bob Hoskins but backed up fantastically by all the supporting cast.

Protect and Advise (?) 1962 Far superior to the Manchurian Candidate (which I thought was laughable-don't know where its high status comes from) Its dealing with a gay romance is a little silly but for the time was probably very brave.

#35     May 22, 2006
  6. just gotta add that i thought constant gardener was close to terrible

i think lecarre in general sux big time, but this movie sucked even more than one would expect from an adaptation of one of his novels.

more movies that sucked (i'll do those before those that were good) :)

training day. possibly the most overrated piece of garbage i have ever seen

movies that dissapointed - sum of all fears. what a waste of a good book. the poltically correct reassignment of the villians in the movie didn't help. ben affleck is a great actor, especially in the older comedic movies. but he cannot pull of action hero, at least not yet. just doesn't have any gravitas.

movies that rooled:

Blade Runner (especially the director's cut)
    Apocalypse Now
    Godfather I/II (III was ok, but not great)
    Heat
    The Exorcist
    Full Metal Jacket
    Singing in the Rain
    Pi
    Searching for Bobby Fischer
    Strange Days
    Rules of Engagement
    The Bourne Supremacy (much better than the first one)
    InFernal Affairs (note the spelling)
    The Limey (SEE THIS MOVIE)
    Goodfellas
    Mean Streets
    Dark City (see this movie)
    The Usual Suspects
    Man on Fire

#36     May 22, 2006
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

rented "A Sound of Thunder"

I thought the story line had potential for a good movie but overall it was disappointing

#37     May 22, 2006
  8. Wonder Boys Michael Douglas,Robert Downey jr Great stuff.
    Man In The Moon 'Someone's wearing a lot of perfume round here.Must be that time of the month.I know all the tricks.' Bob Zamuda should be made to bring him back.

#38     May 31, 2006
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

An American Haunting was reasonably good, it's based on actual events.

#39     May 31, 2006
  10. pattersb

pattersb Guest

You'll enjoy this one if you found "the usual suspects", "sixth sense", etc ...

A toned-down, pyscho-thriller. Hugo Weaving(The elf-king in Lord of The Rings) delivers an exceptional performance. Great acting, all around,.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120714/

I suggest not reading the reviews, probably give it away ...

#40     May 31, 2006