The Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hcour, Nov 7, 2005.

1. If you have run out of new titles to rent at the video store, head down to the older movies section, and check out Suicide Kings. A comedic thriller with plenty of twists and turns, Suicide Kings doesn't disappoint.

- Spydertrader

#21     Feb 28, 2006
  2. How about SCARY MOVIE part 1 2 3 and waiting for the fourth one to come out : - )

#22     Feb 28, 2006
  3. hcour

hcour Guest

You're probably talking about The Killing, w/Sterling Hayden, about a race-track heist. For 50's noir, I thought it was pretty good, but yeah, not up to the standard of his later films. He followed that w/6 masterpieces in a row - Paths of Glory, Spartacus, Lolita, Strangelove, 2001, Clockwork Orange. I can't think of another director who had such a string of great movies.

OTOH, Eyes Wide Shut is one of the worst films I've ever seen in my life, the kind of flick that is so magnificently bad only a great director could go so spectacularly wrong.

H

#23     Mar 1, 2006
  4. hcour

hcour Guest

I just watched this again a couple of months ago as a matter of fact. Yeah, good and twisty, and Walken is great, as usual.

H

#24     Mar 1, 2006
  5. hcour

hcour Guest

Some flicks I've seen recently on DVD that I liked:

Proof - Based on a play, so it's all conversation, but if you appreciate that kind of writing, the dialogue is brilliant and the plot is kind of an intellectual mystery. Gwyneth Paltrow gives one of the greatest performances of the year, about as far from the glamorous movie star as you can get, she should have been nominated for an Oscar.

North Country - Excellent tale of the little gal taking on the big guys, the first significant sexual harassment case that set a precedent. A female iron miner in Minnesota first endures, then fights against, her cro-magnon co-workers. Charlize Theron, like Paltrow, shows she's more than just a pretty face in a heart-wrenching performance. A dark film that's tough to watch at times.

Serenity - Silly sci-fi adventure, low-budget, no-name actors, but fun and funny.

Hustle and Flow - Terrence Howard gives an amazing performance as pimp trying to change his life and climb out of the gutter. Gritty and realistic.

The Constant Gardner - Good thriller, beautifully photographed and acted.

Wedding Crashers - Odd comedy, it's some kind of bizarre hybrid of a gross-out sex comedy and what most guys on this forum would call a "chick flick", as it turns out to be more of a sweet romantic comedy in the end.

Cinderella Man - Good boxing flick, well acted. In the underdog/Rocky genre, you'll root for the guy.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith - Pure silly mindless action fun.

Harold

#25     Mar 1, 2006
  6. Badlands
    Bloodsimple (Blood Simple)?
    Fitzcaraldo
    12 Angry Men
    Point Blank (Lee Marvin,Really good film)
    Get Carter (the original British version with Michael Caine)
    Any of the Harry Palmer films (Caine again)
    Of all the Bond's,On Her Majesty's Secret Service (George Lazenby,Diana Rigg)

#26     Mar 1, 2006
  7. Goodfellas
    Tin Men
    Twins
    Mean Streets (I've always liked Harvey Keitel's narration of his character's inner life)
    Bad Lieutenant (Keitel's character's inner turmoil again)

#27     Mar 1, 2006
  8. House of Games

Mike: "Oh, you're a bad pony. And I'm not gonna bet on you."

#28     Mar 1, 2006
  9. While picking up your copy of Suicide Kings, you might check out another Old Flick. Let it Ride stars Richard Dreyfuss, Terry Garr and David Johansen. It also features a very young (and blonde) Cynthia Nixon (way before her Sex and the City fame). A light, upbeat comedy about a life long 'down on his luck' Average Joe who happens to experience one hell'uva good day, Let It Ride provides plenty of laughs.

- Spydertrader

#29     Mar 1, 2006
  10. Chood

Chood

The Gambler, with James Caan. Traders should like it, like when Caan, having won tons, tells the Caesars blackjack dealer to give him "the 3," which he does, making Caan's 21.

#30     Mar 1, 2006