The mother of all shorts is building: 30-year T-Bond

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bond tr4der, Dec 4, 2008.

1. RFT, it's not a retirement account, but the account that I trade equities with is essentially to build a base of cash for retirement purposes, so I guess you can say it is. It's just not a 401k.

Again, I'd be looking to hold it longer term (5 years or so).

Wewilly, thanks mate. Appreciated.

#41     Dec 8, 2008
  2. I PMed the info to you Ivan. You should now know what I mean. In case I did not mention it, the information is for you only and for your eyes only! I hope it will be helpful.

PS: there is another plus in what I sent. I will follow up on it in another PM. Cheers!

#42     Dec 8, 2008
  3. Cutten

Cutten

TLT now up 30% in 5 weeks. Who'da thunk it?

Lesson: markets with strong near-term fundamentals, strong technicals, and every other man and his dog trying to continually pick the top, are pretty good candidates for going way, way higher.

#43     Dec 19, 2008
  4. Personally, I don't mind it. I got TBT at around 40, and I'm fine with holding it for 5 years or whatever. Personally, between this, oil, gold and a few other ETFs, I'm rather pleased with what prices I've been able to get into the market for - long term. Some great bargains

#44     Dec 19, 2008
  5. Totally agreed. Picking the exact top or bottom is impossible, but for long term investors, the bargains to be had shorting bonds and long oil right now are no brainers.

#45     Dec 19, 2008
  6. I couldn't be as succinct as you, but that's what I was trying to say. :)

#46     Dec 19, 2008
  7. himself

himself

Where can one see what the near 30 year bond future would be trading at if long term rates were 0%, 1%, 2%, 3% etc.?

#47     Dec 19, 2008
  8. himself

himself

#48     Dec 19, 2008
  9. himself

himself

#49     Dec 19, 2008
  10. You'll have to work backward a little bit, but go here:

http://www.investopedia.com/calculator/AOYTM.aspx

Plug in $100,000 for Par value, 4.5% for the annual rate and 30 year maturity. Then just keep plugging in different values for market value.

Just FYI, ZB at 156 would be 2%, and 190 would be 1%.

#50     Dec 19, 2008