The Most Profitable SIMPLE Trading Method

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by ProTrader1, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Not really, because the bottom of the scale is not zero dollars. I wish it were as then my percentage return would be much bigger. The drawdown between Feb and March was about 10%. The biggest problem was the frustration of going nowhere for three months. This was the result of a deliberate decision at the end of last year to give my trades more room on the downside in the expectation of capturing bigger gains. I thought I had left a lot on the table last year by snatching at profits.

Wrong time to have tried that modification it seems.

#41     Dec 16, 2001
  2. limbo

limbo

Chris I personally hope you will reconsider your withdrawal from Et and continue to post your greatstuff. I'm sure alot of people agree.------ And no I dont live in westchester- I was visiting some friends in katonah. I live in manhattan.

#42     Dec 16, 2001
  3. Simba

Simba

The SIMPLEST profitable method to trade is...

ONLY ENTER WINNING POSITIONS,
    AND NEVER ENTER A LOSING POSITION !!!

Now you just have to figure out how to do that.

It is difficult to get genuine trading advice, because those who are successful in trading are hesitant to give their secrets away, and those who do teach trading techniques make money from teaching, not from trading. There is a saying: "Those who can trade, trade, and those who can't, teach".

Besides, as someone already mentioned on this thread, trading is 90% psychology, and that comes from within, and takes years of training, many losses and disappointments -- only those who come out alive at the other end of the long, dark tunnel called the learning curve will make it in trading.

Good "luck" (and it is not luck that makes a good trader)

:) Simba :p

#43     Dec 17, 2001
  4. ddefina

ddefina

Since we're showing our curves...

I keep my performance figures public for money I trade for other people. It's not that long of track record, but its going in the right direction. If you notice at the end of the curve its getting tighter, this is from intraday swings vs. the multiple day swings done previous. Same system, different time frames.

I use only S/R, letting profits run and cut losses based on volatility. My profits average 2x my losses over thousands of trades, but my win/loss is around 40%. I figure a monkey could pick my trades, its just the exit that's important. I could get the win/loss higher but then I'd miss the gravy trades that happen a few times per month.

www.timingcentral.com

#44     Dec 17, 2001
  5. I see this asserted time and time again as sufficient reason to disparage those who teach trading for a fee, and to dismiss without further ado what they offer. Apparently those of you who love to quote this don't realize this is simply a trite phrase that has no inherent validity in and of itself, and does not offer proof of anything. But it is put forth as though it is "universal truth" or law. :confused:

Can a university mathematics professor do mathematics?
    Does a football coach have nothing of value to offer his players?
    Is a World Class martial arts instructor confined to tournament fighting?

Those that can trade, trade;
    OR trade AND teach.

Why are trading and teaching trading considered to be mutually exclusive? I think they go hand in hand. Trade, and teach trading for even greater revenues. Makes total sense. Besides there are those who get genuine satisfaction from helping and imparting what they know to others, those people are called TEACHERS.

IMO, the phrase has no intrinsic meaning or value.

To conclude that someone can or cannot trade based solely on whether or not he asks for a fee is ludicrous.

ProTrader1

#45     Dec 17, 2001
  6. Threei

Threei

Thank you, you said it better than I could. Plus, I cannot agree with those who are successful in trading are hesitant to give their secrets away. There are NO "secrets" in trading that those in possession of them(secrets) would be guarding and hiding. All the techniques, setups, methods are widely known and many times described. It's how you chose those that match your personality, how you apply them, how you adjust when market changes, how you keep your discipline when market shows its nature (probabilities vs certainties) that makes you success or failure.

Best regards,

Vadym

#46     Dec 17, 2001
  7. Welcome to this board Vadym. You are one of the few vendors who I respect. You may wish to post your famous SI thread on Scalping in this forum, as I think many people will find it instructive.

Candle

#47     Dec 17, 2001
  8. action

action

I love the subject idea. Trading can be VERY simple. It's the person or the "me" that makes it so complicated or conflicting. I am a student of Joe Ross techniques and have found great insight and freedom over the years trading. I agree there are no "secrets" that will bring success. Learning basic trading fundamentals is important. It's the mental...to "think like a trader" that will make or break you. Marc Douglas's books, discipline trader and Trading in the Zone combined with Ross books are the simple trading path here. I have 30 or 40 other trading books that will probably never be read again.
    Pride is the Killer, what I have to deal with daily, moment by moment in trading. I cannot trade with freedom, or enjoy the gift of trading, if Pride is in the drivers seat. It is the Pride that says "find another indicator", "draw another trendline", get this thing to "look" like "I" think it should look. That is what makes trading NOT simple.
    As Joe Ross teaches, and most traders will pass over..."Trade what you see, not what you think".

#48     Dec 17, 2001
  9. ProTrader1,

You identify an interesting paradox. We respect teachers who are proven performers in their own right. As in athletics however, performing and teaching skills often do not go hand in hand. It's also difficult to confirm who is actually successful and who is blowing smoke, e.g. Wade Cook.

The problem however is that trading is potentially so lucrative and requires no special physical talent, so we have to wonder why someone who claims to be an expert trader doesn't trade. Usually the honest answer is they can't make as much money trading, which makes you wonder about the usefulness of what they're teaching. It also depends on what kind of help we 're looking for. If I have a problem keeping stops and consult a psychologist, it's not too important that they be a successful trader. If I'm paying someone to teach me their magic guru trading system, I'd expect them to have made loads of money off it. Why should I risk my money on it if they aren't willing to?

#49     Dec 17, 2001
  10. ddefina,

You are doing very well and that's a nice site you have. Do I correctly understand your method to be essentially the following:

1. Portfolio of 10 noncorrelated low beta stocks.

2. Stop and reverse system with longs going to shorts at low of previous day and vice versa.

3. No timing or exit strategy other than stop and reverse at previous days high or low.

I am curious how far back you tested this system. It has a lot of appeal, but I would worry about getting chopped up in a sideways market.

#50     Dec 17, 2001