The most excellent way to pick great stocks

Discussion in 'Trading' started by mrmarket, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qarel

Qarel

In 2001 MrMarket opened 41 positions. Some of those ran well into 2002, and the last 6 of those 41 were closed around the end of 2002. Those last 6 were all losers (average loss ~43%, my estimate). MrMarket closed the other 35 positions for a gain of 15% or better, but the 6 losers dragged down the average return of the 2001 positions to 7.5%. Hmm, not bad.

How did you do?

Regards,

Karel

#21     Jan 31, 2003
  2. Hi Karel,

I remember you from all of your excellent quantitative analysis from the Motley Fool days. You are HUGE!

#22     Jan 31, 2003
  3. I did not know it was possible to use both "Motley Fool" and "excellent" in the same sentence.

#23     Jan 31, 2003
  4. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Eventually, people will figure out that this has nothing to do with trading. Which doesn't mean that there won't be people who flock to it. Personally, I'm looking forward to an EBITDA thread. Or a Discounted Cash Flow thread. I'm especially looking forward to a discussion of value investing, and how long-term buy-and-hold is the only way to achieve real profits.

--Db

#24     Jan 31, 2003
  5. At Wharton, they taught us how to evaluate companies. It is a helpful tool for those of us who are capable of understanding it. We read financial statements as easily as others may read Playboy.

#25     Jan 31, 2003

6. you know u cant read shit with that nose sitting in your way !!

lol lol lol

#26     Jan 31, 2003
  7. Qarel

Qarel

As long as the praise applies to me and not to the Fool, I don't see any problem.

:)

Karel

#27     Jan 31, 2003
  8. MBA - "Minor Burger Attendant"

#28     Jan 31, 2003
  9. sorry - forgot the Wharton promotional literature!

#29     Jan 31, 2003
  10. hi Db,

I know value investing and trading are worlds apart, but I was hoping that it would lead that way too. Not that I'm much of a subscriber to that school of thought, but at least open minded enough to listen and find out...

Natalie

#30     Jan 31, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.